syrup vs. sauce

G

Can anyone tell me the difference between syrups and the sauces? I am interested in making mochas. Thanks!

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
Sometimes the terminology is mixed. If you are making mochas, you want a real chocolate syrup made with real chocolate (which you probably think of as sauce). You don't want the sugar syrup flavored like chocolate (ei Monin or Torani).

I like Ghiardelli syrups - and the caramel one is really, really good. Thick and rich like real caramel!

G

We use plain old hershey syrup and it is wonderful. A syrup is thin and a sauce is thick. Caramel is better when it is a sauce. It is much richer that way

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
NordstromCoffee said:
We use plain old hershey syrup and it is wonderful. A syrup is thin and a sauce is thick. Caramel is better when it is a sauce. It is much richer that way

To anyone looking into the whole syrup thing (Which brand to choose) I would suggest you try spending a few more $$ and try the Ghiardelli syrups....I'll never go back.....and my customers (what it's really all about right?) tell me it is the best they have ever tasted.

WHy?- because everyone else is using Hershey or some powder to save money.... I find I use half the reccomended syrup (about 1 1/2 squirts, 2 max for a 16 oz drink)

No residual inthe bottom either....as it seems to blend better, and the flavor is awesome.

Their white Choc, and Caramel are second to none in my opinion.

It was really a no brainer...the only complaint is the residual in the bottle as they use a pump system that can be hard to get all of the contents out, especially if cool in your shop.

I suggest sitting the bottles in hot water, and combining them or pouring into your next bottle for near zero waste.

Good luck

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
We use Ghirardelli and Hersheys...the only reason we started using Hersheys is due to a customers request, although I've always loved Hersheys it can't really compare to the Ghirardellis. We go through a jug of Ghirardellis every 2-3 days and a jug of Hersheys will last 1-2 weeks. We go through 15 lbs of the ground white choc powder each week...noone else around here uses it and we've gotten a lot of customers because of it. Same goes for the caramel sauce....customers call it "real caramel".

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Torani has syrups and sauces. Their caramel flavored syrup and chocolate milano syrup are, like all their other syrups, more of the consistency of pancake syrup. Their sauces, such as chocolate and caramel, are more like Hershey's or Ghiradelli - maybe a tad thicker. So, that's the difference between sauce and syrup when you are shopping for Torani or Da Vinci.

G

syrup or sause

I use Guitard ground chocolate disolved it in milk and poured in to a pump. It is the best, most fresh sauce you can have without any preservitives and artificial flavors. You can control the flavor and texture of your syrup. (make sure the recipie is folowed by your employees)

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
we make a lot of our own syrups and some sauces. A syrup base is simple syrup ( sugar & water equal amounts heated until dissolved) Then add your spices, extracts..... Sauces generally have a cream base or powered milk to start. Our Mocha coffees are made two ways. One with a chocolate sauce and coffee, the other, and the most popular, is half hot chocolate with steamed milk and the other half a bold coffee. If you do a lot of mocha coffees and want to use a home made chocolate sauce, look into purchasing a fudge warmer.

coco

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
;7440 said:
I use Guitard ground chocolate disolved it in milk and poured in to a pump. It is the best, most fresh sauce you can have without any preservitives and artificial flavors. You can control the flavor and texture of your syrup. (make sure the recipie is folowed by your employees)

The restaurant that I work for switched from a quality chocolate sauce to Guitard cocoa powder. Because it is unsweetened, we add vanilla syrup to our mochas. I have heard from more than one person that this is the best drink they have ever had.

I'm not a big fan, so going on feedback here.