TALL Machines - ?

jmac

Aug 5, 2005
Visit site
ALL of my business will be "to go" in paper cups.

Do any of you use a TALL machine?
If so, which brand/model & do you think they're beneficial?

Thanks!

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
We use the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, it is a great machine. The groupheads can be individually set at whatever height you desire. Some place set them all high for takeout cups or some set one lower for ceramic cups. It is full of features including the ability to set the temp on each individuall grouphead, some people find their decaf extracts better at a higher temp, so you can set one grouphead up for decaf. We had a older Cimballi and produced good espresso but the difference in this new Aurelia is amazing. We now get over double the crema.

By "Tall" you are talking about a machine with raised group heads. Most new model machines that use a pre-infusion group system can be set-up as a raised group, giving you clearance for arge paper cups etc. Raised groups cost a little more than a traditional machine, but in my opinion it is worth the small extra investment.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
morrisn said:
We use the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, it is a great machine. The groupheads can be individually set at whatever height you desire. Some place set them all high for takeout cups or some set one lower for ceramic cups. It is full of features including the ability to set the temp on each individuall grouphead, some people find their decaf extracts better at a higher temp, so you can set one grouphead up for decaf. We had a older Cimballi and produced good espresso but the difference in this new Aurelia is amazing. We now get over double the crema.

The Aurelia comes in two sizes, short and tall. In both machines the group head is bolted to the frame and does not move. Is it possible you are thinking of a different machine?

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
No what I mean is the groupheads on the Aurelia are adjustable, not something that you can change to different heights in a minute but the machine is designed so that you can setup each individual grouphead to your desired height.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well I have never heard or seen that you can change the group head height. And new Rep for the Midwest never made mention of it either. But since you have peaked my interest I will give Ryan a call at Nuova Distribution in the morning.

It would be an interesting concept to be able to have 2 talls and a short group head.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I used a machine a looong time ago that had a shelf that pulled out for drinks smaller than a 12 ounce. 12 and 16 oz cups fit without the wee shelf. can not for the life of me remember what the brand was...I think it might have been ranchilio..but I could be wrong.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
All most all Cimbali Tall machines have at least one pull out shelf.

As for the Aurelia the group heads can be set at 2 different heights tall and short. It is a kit and somewhat of an aftermarket add on. In the United State the adjustment is made at Nuova Distribution.

It can also be done on location by a trained service technician. Any untrained person should not try to do the modification, as it could void your warranty. The kit is requires removing several pieces and adding some new ones. It is not extremely hard as it is tedious and time consuming. As for on the fly adjustment, it is not possible.