Techniques to Steam and Froth Milk at Home

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
So I made this neat little video on steaming and frothing milk at home. From what I could gather, you want to heat your milk up to around 140 to 160 degrees fahrenheit. I showed a couple ways that this could be done. I still think the best way, without a steaming wand, would be to heat it up slowly on the stove, stirring it, and keeping an eye on the temperature.
For the frothing the milk, I did the same kind of thing. I showed a couple ways to do it but, hands down, using a french press is an excellent way to froth milk at home when you don't have a milk frother.

Anyone else know any neat tips or tricks on steaming or frothing milk at home when you don't have a steaming wand or a milk frother?

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Very good video, well done. I've tried various way to froth milk and the best results and only way i've found that can really produce perfect microfoam and not just a light but deep foam over the milk is to use a french press just like you did. It's important to avoid raising the plunger over the milk surface or you will get a lot of large air bubbles. The volume should increase to about the double of the initial milk volume. But before pouring the milk like you show in the video, pour it into a milk steaming pitcher. This way it will blend the heavier foam with the lighter foam that did pour at the end. Swirl it gently, tap a few times to remove the tiny residual air bubbles and you could pour just perfect latte art as it was made with a commercial espresso machine. I was really surprise of the perfect microfoam i was able to get (not perfect latte art tought!). I highly recommand this method if needed and this can help if you have to serve a lot of guess, you can keep milk in a large pan at the right temperature and froth for two latte at a time in the french press and do many cycles in a row if needed.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Very good video, well done. I've tried various way to froth milk and the best results and only way i've found that can really produce perfect microfoam and not just a light but deep foam over the milk is to use a french press just like you did. It's important to avoid raising the plunger over the milk surface or you will get a lot of large air bubbles. The volume should increase to about the double of the initial milk volume. But before pouring the milk like you show in the video, pour it into a milk steaming pitcher. This way it will blend the heavier foam with the lighter foam that did pour at the end. Swirl it gently, tap a few times to remove the tiny residual air bubbles and you could pour just perfect latte art as it was made with a commercial espresso machine. I was really surprise of the perfect microfoam i was able to get (not perfect latte art tought!). I highly recommand this method if needed and this can help if you have to serve a lot of guess, you can keep milk in a large pan at the right temperature and froth for two latte at a time in the french press and do many cycles in a row if needed.

I found out about the doubling of the froth really quick! Was pretty surprised yet looking back, it makes sense. Did not think to not raise the plunger over the milk but that also makes sense! Trapping large amounts of air under the plunger and making larger air bubbles. Glad you liked the video!