Technivorm KBT-741 Strange Pour Examples (Photos)

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
OK, I've brought this up on another forum and want to get opinions/feedback here, too.

I'm having a bit of difficulty adjusting to pouring coffee from the new-style carafe that came with my recently purchased Technivorm KBT-741. I've tried pouring with and without the lid, with the lid adjusted to various numbers of turns, etc., and when I'm not getting what I consider too slow a pour, I'm getting a very erratic pour. "Wide swath" pours and "split stream" pours, etc. And it seems to vary quite a bit with the fullness of the carafe. The more full the carafe, the better the pour, but as the carafe level goes down, so does the quality of the pour.

In any case, I've taken some photos and want to see what people might think about them (or what other owners of this style of carafe might have to say about the carafe).

I don't know if it's my technique, this particular carafe, or just the way the new-style carafe works.

As it stands, I love the way the KBT-741 makes coffee. It's fantastic. But even though the carafe is usable, I'd have to give the one in my possession low marks on ease of pouring. (And there are no notes on the carafe in the literature I received with the coffee maker. It shows only the old-style carafe, so if there's anything special the user needs to know about the new-style carafe, it's not addressed in the very brief manual.)

Here are some photos of the carafe "pour" both with and without the lid attached. (These are some of the worst, but easily duplicated, pour examples. I can make it pour better, but then it pours very slowly and takes about 10 seconds or so to fill up a cup, which seems a long amount of time to fill one cup of coffee.)

http://www.ruscelli.com/images/tv_pour_01a.jpg

http://www.ruscelli.com/images/tv_pour_03a.jpg

http://www.ruscelli.com/images/tv_pour_02a.jpg

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You know, I have never understood why companies invest all this money in to making a great coffee brewer only to blow it on the decanter.

I don't know what to really tell you to help. Maybe you can fiddle around with that metal lip and get a better pour.

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
CCafe said:
You know, I have never understood why companies invest all this money in to making a great coffee brewer only to blow it on the decanter.

I don't know what to really tell you to help. Maybe you can fiddle around with that metal lip and get a better pour.

I briefly considered breaking out a blowtorch and the old anvil, heating up the carafe lip, and pounding an actual spout into the thing.

For some reason I keep recalling the old Saturday Night Live skit where Gilda Radner's Emily Litella character (I think memory serves) came up with an idea to keep people from losing contact lenses. It involved taking an old wire coat hanger and wrapping it in a circle around each lens, then fashioning hooks to fit behind each ears. Why I'm remembering THAT as associated with THIS situation, I dunno. But for some reason (with absolutely no connection or analogous level of comparison), it comes to mind. :roll: