Technivorm KBT-741 Thermal Carafe Design/Appearance?

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
I just bought a Technivorm KBT-741 coffee maker with a thermal carafe.

I''m curious as to the design of the carafe that I received as opposed to the carafe that seems to be pictured everywhere for this coffee maker (including on the Technivorm website).

I posted a couple of photos of the carafe that I received on my website on this page:

http://www.ruscelli.com/technivorm.htm

I''ll post them here, too (first, the carafe that I received):

Carafe-01.jpg
Carafe-02.jpg

These next images as the entire coffee maker and carafe seem to appear everywhere on the internet:

kbt741.jpg
kbt741thermos.jpg

The coffee maker itself (as I received it) is just as it appears as in the third photo. The carafe is obviously quite radically different.

Can anyone here enlighten me as to the design discrepancy? I''m going to contact the seller about it, but thought I''d ask here to see if anyone had an idea of why there is such a different appearance in the carafes. I don''t want to start complaining unless I received something I shouldn''t have.

Thanks! :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
personally I think the only difference is the spout. The one you have(3rd picture) Is as good as the first. The first one looks like it woudl be hard to poor but it isn't. I do have to say that you bought a nice machine! Hope it all works out for you! I had the Technivorm KB-741 Clubline
White and loved it! Wish I hadn't lost it :cry:

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
Well, dang. Sorry my photos didn't show up! They showed in my post preview, but not in the actual post. :(

Here's the link again to the images on my website:

http://www.ruscelli.com/technivorm.htm

But the more I look at photos and the box that I received, etc., it seems like there are two versions of the Technivorm Thermo KBT-741.

What shows up everywhere in photos on the internet (and what I was supposed to have received) is the Technivorm Clubline KBT-741.

What it looks like was sent to me is a variation of that machine called the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741. (Not the regular Technivorm Moccamaster, but a KBT-741 variant, like a hybrid cross between their Clubline and their Moccamaster.) But from what I see, even the Moccamaster version is supposed to have the thermal carafe with the spout. :?

I've got the feeling that the vendor just gave me what they had in stock. My gut feeling is that the version that I received WILL be difficult to pour from as it has no real spout on the carafe. But I certainly don't want to test it and maybe lose my option to exchange it. Argh.

Guess I'll have to contact the vendor after all. What they show on the site is definitely the Clubline KBT-741, but what I received after purchase is the definitely the Moccamaster KBT-741.

Ahh, well. My anniversary is still a few weeks away and hopefully I can get it resolved by then. (This was a gift for "us" for our anniversary.) :wink:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
trust me...it looks like it does not have a true "lip" but it pours just like it has a spout...think of it having more than one spout..the whole thing is one...I loved the coffee maker I had that had the all around spout! Try it and you will see it pours normal!

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
topher said:
trust me...it looks like it does not have a true "lip" but it pours just like it has a spout...think of it having more than one spout..the whole thing is one...I loved the coffee maker I had that had the all around spout! Try it and you will see it pours normal!

Thank you, topher. Your comments are appreciated!

I decided that I had to test the "pour" of this carafe so I went ahead and took it out and tested it with plain water. Behold! It worked great.

But the really (and I mean REALLY) impressive part to me was that there was absolutely NO drip that went down the side of the carafe or off the lip in any way. When I leaned the carafe back to stop the pour, it stopped, cutting the pour off sharply. In fact, I was trying to make it drip off the side and couldn't. :wink:

As bizarre (to me) as the plain, round, "no spout" lip on the carafe is, it seems so sharp and fine along the edge that it allows no drip or dribbling of liquid off the edge of the lip. I would have thought this might have been a problem with this design, but it appears that it's just the opposite. And with that, I'll be happy. Aesthetics are one thing, but function is bottom line as far as I'm concerned. Cool! :)

Now as long as my wife likes it, all will be well... :wink:

And I really do feel we're going to love the Technivorm. I did an awful lot of studying before buying it and people who use this model seem to generally be very happy with the purchase. Can't wait to actually be able to use it.

Thanks again, topher. :)

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
dingrr said:
I just got my Moccamaster yesterday and it has the same carafe; pours great in any direction!

Thanks for the feedback, dingrr...

That's an extra bit of comforting info for me. :) (Especially since I can't use it until I surprise my wife with it. I think I'll move the date up to Valentine's day. A dozen roses and a Technvorm... she'll either love me or hate me, but at least we'll be able to brew some good coffee. :p

efunke

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Rip Off

Hi,
I think you were ripped off and should demand Boyds send you the correct caraf. :twisted: I have the same coffee maker and received the correct caraf with screw tight top (the one you picture in your chat and wonder if you should''ve received). It is a nice heavy weight caraf with great thermal capacity when the lid is on.
I also placed my order through Boyds about 2-3 years ago. In fact, I''m in the process of replacing my caraf because the inside finish has started to wear a bit on the inside finish and the replacement is only $40.00 (not thru Boyds).
I love this coffee maker and you can get it through other places, so make Boyds treat you right!

DSCoe

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Re: Rip Off

[quote:ebd5f3e1e3=\"efunke\"]Hi,
I think you were ripped off and should demand Boyds send you the correct caraf. :twisted: I have the same coffee maker and received the correct caraf with screw tight top (the one you picture in your chat and wonder if you should''''ve received). It is a nice heavy weight caraf with great thermal capacity when the lid is on.
I also placed my order through Boyds about 2-3 years ago. In fact, I''''m in the process of replacing my caraf because the inside finish has started to wear a bit on the inside finish and the replacement is only $40.00 (not thru Boyds).
I love this coffee maker and you can get it through other places, so make Boyds treat you right![/quote:ebd5f3e1e3]

I came across this message thread while searching to see if anyone besides myself has had problems with the original style carafe that shipped with the Technivorm KBT-741 brewer. I purchased my unit about 8 months ago. After about 6 months of use it started developing several cracks at the edge of the stainless steel exterior base shell. One crack has now grown to about 3/4\" in length. Worse still, and most probably due to the cracks, the carafe has now lost its internal vacuum. Unlike when it has new, the exterior of the carafe now gets noticeably warm soon after brewing and the coffee does not stay hot for very long. I assure you we have never abused this carafe. It has not been dropped or banged around in any way. I have also discovered this post by someone else with the same trouble.
I believe the reason that Technivorm has begun shipping the newer style carafe is because of manufacturing quality problems with the original. Since I purchased my unit from Sweet Maria''s I am going to contact them to see if I am entitled to a warranty replacement. Incidentally, the KBT-741 on their website now shows the new style carafe.
Hope this info helps shed some light on the situation! :?