Technivorm KBT 741 vs Bunn BTX

Mark1808

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I am contemplating a new coffee maker and am deciding between the Technivorm KBT 741 and Bunn BTX home brewer as they are the only two I can find that brew at over 200 degrees. I have a Techivorm and have loved it it but lately the coffee has not been as hot and I wonder if there is a problem with the machine.

I like hot, strong coffee and I usually make ony 1 or 2 cups at a time. I am leaning towards a stainless steel carafe type machine this time so I can make a little more and have it sit there and still be hot and flavorful an hour or two later. I also like the option of taking coffee with me to the office.

Any comments or suggestions on these two machines or any others would be appreciated.

ElPugDiablo

Mark1808 said:
I am contemplating a new coffee maker and am deciding between the Technivorm KBT 741 and Bunn BTX home brewer as they are the only two I can find that brew at over 200 degrees. I have a Techivorm and have loved it it but lately the coffee has not been as hot and I wonder if there is a problem with the machine.

I like hot, strong coffee and I usually make ony 1 or 2 cups at a time. I am leaning towards a stainless steel carafe type machine this time so I can make a little more and have it sit there and still be hot and flavorful an hour or two later. I also like the option of taking coffee with me to the office.

Any comments or suggestions on these two machines or any others would be appreciated.
Carafe will retain heat, but it will not retain flavor. Most of the quality oriented shops dump their coffees at about 30 minutes mark.

jonlabo

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Mark, I am currently looking at the same 2 models. Let me know what brewer you end up going with an why.

What version of the Technivorm are you using now?

shaky shep

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
For what it's worth, I'm on my second Bunn, but I may be switching. It brews really fast which I love. The coffee has a good taste, but I have had some mechanical difficulties.

The first machine began leaking after about a year. I went in and made my own gaskets for the water delivery system. The originals were plastic and had become brittle due to the heat. It still works, about four years later, but is again developing leaks.

The second Bunn was fine for about a year and then began tripping the GFC outlets in the kitchen. Inexplicable. Plug, cord, and internal connections are all fine, so I just disconnected the ground which, admittedly, is probably not the ideal solution.

So, after my second Bunn I can say, I love the coffe maker and the coffe, but the mechanical shortcomings are getting a bit tedious. Hope that helps some.

Mark1808

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
jonlabo said:
Mark, I am currently looking at the same 2 models. Let me know what brewer you end up going with an why.

What version of the Technivorm are you using now?

I am currently using the Technivorm Moccamaster CD. I started grinding my beans a little finer and letting the water sit in the coffee basket for a minute or so before putting in the glass carafe and m coffee is coming out GREAT!!! Based on the comments above I think I will stay with the Moccamaster. It amazes me that manafactureres do not post brewing temperatures because it seems to be the most critical factor of a coffee maker.