The Best Coffee Company????

Javahutnut

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello...I am looking for opinions of the best coffee beans. Just got a new Cuisinart Grind and Brew and my girl and I have no idea of what beans to get. We drink decaf and would just like to know your opinions of different companies bean and maybe a good flavor. We both like a good medium roast coffee...nothing dark.

Thanks.

nemoscoffee

Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
Visit site
Check out Equator Estates coffee out of California...
Great coffee, decent prices. There was a write up on them in a specialty coffee magazine this month.

JD Anderson
Nemo's Coffee

Medium roasts??

Limiting yourselves to medium roasts and decaf isn''t a great start in the world of coffee. Specialty coffee is an addictive force that takes no prisoners and renders commercial coffee useless. The bridge to cross into coffee heaven is a Technivorm brewer, a burr grinder and an i-roast home roaster. Sweet Maria''s has the beans and good luck on your journey....

alanj11

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
If you insist on decaf, choose only that using the Swiss Water Process.

I would be very interested in your reasons for decaf. If it is health related, you may have cause to question the medical professional and what information their opinion is based on.

Unless you are one of the extreme minority with a very low tolerance for caffeine, coffee offers a multitude of health benefits, such as more antioxidants than blueberries.

As for a good source of beans, check for local roasters in your area. A good Colombian Supremo Swiss Water Decaf would be a good start. This is a readilly available bean in just about any roaster or independent coffee shops offering.

If you have a flat or conical burr grinder you're way ahead of the game. If you have a blade or whirlly grinder you may want to have the roaster or coffee shop grind it for you. In that case you will absolutely need a really good air tight container to store it in to maintain freshness as long as possible.

Believe it or not, the grind makes a big difference in the flavor of the coffee. If you're willing to put out $100 or so, you can get a decent conical burr grinder. Solis makes a good choice. But $200+ for a Technivorum brewer might be a little extreme at this stage.

But soon, you may be like the rest of us extremists, with the $2000 fully automatics, $400 grinders, $720 roasters, with autographed Illy cups drinking Yemen Mocha! Aaahhh...what a life!

Feb 2, 2008
Visit site
Blue Mountain Coffee

I may be a little bias but it is tough to argue with Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee not being considered the best. I like Coffee Roasters of Jamaica which was also rated highest in quality by Jamaicas Coffee Industry Board.

Lisabeeen

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
first off, that brewer may not be getting the water hot enough to get the best extraction ANYway......but....try Intelligentsai or Sweet Marias if you want the BEST beans

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Re: Blue Mountain Coffee

jamaicanmountaincoffee said:
I may be a little bias but it is tough to argue with Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee not being considered the best. I like Coffee Roasters of Jamaica which was also rated highest in quality by Jamaicas Coffee Industry Board.
Wow...I should hope that Coffee roasters of Jamaica was your favorite...seeing that it is your company :p Jamaican coffee is a nice coffee..but to be honest it is a bit over priced. I sell about 100 lbs a week...so I can't really complain :oops:

burtonridr

Mar 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Visit site
Re: Biased

[quote:b34a7768bc=\"jlyon10\"]I may be a little biased but I think my beans are the best. :D[/quote:b34a7768bc]

lol we have great beans as well.

If I were to recommend a good company other than ours, the only one I have tried and believe matches the quality and taste of our beans would be Dawson Taylor, they are local to Boise, Idaho... I dont know if they have a website or sell coffee online. They too roast their own coffee and and only use high quality fresh roasted arabica coffee beans.

late

Mar 2, 2008
Southern Maine
Visit site
Hi,
you will just need to try different varieties and see what you like. Don't forget that some coffees might not need as many scoops, while others might taste better with a tad extra.

Try some of the light roasts as well. You should also fool around creating blends. You will have some disasters, but it's a worthwhile and educational experience.

I like a good Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. But finding a good one can be tricky.
The last couple bags of Yirgacheffe I got from Green Mountain were very good.

If you have a good local coffee house, find out what they do that you like and when they roast. Freshness counts a lot.

Terroir is a good place to try, but I will wanr you, their prices can be pretty wild.
http://www.terroircoffee.com/

Have fun.