The cheapest espresso grinder you can get that works

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Any recommendations on what espresso grinder to buy? I bought a $30 Melitta burr grinder, but it doesn''t grind fine enough. I want to spend as less as possible but get one that works for espresso. I''m hoping less than $50 although I have a feeling it''ll be between $50-$100.

If I can''t get one less than $100, could I somehow grind my beans and then crush it manually to be more fine?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I can highly recommend the Capresso Infinity. The ABS version can be had for $90 and is identical to the $140 metal bodied version except for the housing. It will grind for any brewing method needed and is easy to clean, operate, etc.

Another decent grinder I saw recently at Williams-Sonoma is the Breville Ikon (I think that's the name). It was marked $99 and looks to have nice build quality, burrs, etc.

Another thing about the Infinity is that is definitely superior to grinders like the Maestro, Bodum Antigua, etc. It is compared to the quality of the Baratza Virtuoso and is much cheaper. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah the Breville grinder looks to have a nice set of conical burrs, has a positive click to hold settings (which don't look far apart) and APPEARS (I don't know for sure) to dispense the grounds vertically into the bin instead of being raked out horizontally, which causes more retention. Later!

MJ Coffee

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I know many may disagree but the Cuisinart Supreme Grind seems to be a good grinder for the money. I think that it retails for 49.99. There just isn't much else you can find in that price range. It seems to handle fine espresso grinds well.

MJ Coffee

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I know many may disagree but the Cuisinart Supreme Grind seems to be a good grinder for the money. I think that it retails for 49.99. There just isn't much else you can find in that price range. It seems to handle fine espresso grinds well.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Look, this is my take on this grinder (Cuisinart). I bought my first pump machine a little over 2 years ago. I was actually using preground Gevalia stuff and that was OK with me at the time. Then a friend gave me 2 lbs. of fresh roasted beans from a local roaster as a Christmas gift. I used Christmas money and bought the Cuisinart for $50. It does look nice for the money and is built rather well for what it is. BUT, it uses "fake" burrs, meaning they are nothing more than soft steel with plates that pulverize the beans, not shave or slice them. Now it is a step above the blade choppers, but not much better. Only because the beans can only pass through the burrs once in the Cuisinart. The other real problem is the high speed motor chews through the beans causing alot of heat and damage.

Do yourselves a favor and don't buy this thing. There are MUCH better grinders out there for not much more money. Like I said before the Capresso Infinity ABS version can be had for $90 and will kill the grind coming out of the cheaper burrs grinders and is quiet, easy to clean, etc. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
It seems to handle fine espresso grinds well.

Compared to what? For what machine? Define well....... My first pump machine utilized pressurized baskets and the Cuisinart just couldn't cut it even for that setup. I couldn't achieve any kind of consistency, lousy taste, horrible channeling...... I know this machine is far from being a champ, but even with the built-in crutches it had to offer this grinder couldn't crank out anything considered decent. Good thing my local Linens and Things was nice enough to take it back. I simply told them it couldn't grind for espresso like stated on the box. Good luck. Later!

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I ended up buying the Capresso Infinity and I love it. My problem is cleaning it internally, especially between different types of coffee beans. I read online to use grind some rice. Any cleaning advice?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I don't recommend using rice as it will leave behind alot of dust and possibly some smell. I did give this advice to you in my last post regarding steam brewed coffee, but I simply use a brush and a vacuum cleaner. I also hand wash the bean hopper, lid and grounds bin with warm soapy water every now and then and let dry. If you have access to compressed air, take the grinder outside and blow it out. Later!