The cost of a cup of drip, and using your own mug

Caffe Latte

May 10, 2004
New York City
Visit site
So I went out to get a cup (or really, travel mug) of coffee today from the closest place, which is Dunkin' Donuts. First, it was as expected (that is to say, meh, but 100x better than the slop at the work). But my question is:

Why did it cost as much as Starbucks? Everyone always bitches about the "high cost" of a cup of starbucks coffee, but DD was the same exact price.

Also, they did not give me a discount for using my own mug. I know Sbux does. it's not much , about 10 cents, but it's still a discount, and any amount is always a little incentive to come back and do the same.

Do other places give discounts for using your own mug?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I've told people in the past that when they purchased their drink, that we throw in the paper cup for free! :twisted: So when they bring in their own mug they won't be so disappointed when they get charged the same.

While were on the subject of your own mugs. How many people have dealt with customers who insist their own mug is 16 ounces and you know that its more like 20oz?

Obsidiancoffee

Sep 27, 2007
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
We treat travel mug as 12oz. The biggest travel mug that came across our counter was a butt ugly all chewed up plastic 24oz thingy. Still 12oz price.

We do the same. Not only does it encourage sustainability, but it also gives us a great opportunity to sell our branded travel mugs. It's amazing how many we sell as a result. The real fact is even if you are only charging $1.50 for whatever size mug the customer brings in you are still making ridiculous profit.