The Current State of Wi-Fi

Jbookspan

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Sometime around 2010 it happened, Starbucks flipped the switch and overnight Wi-Fi became an essential part of operating a business. Customers began to expect Free Wi-Fi from coffee shops, then gyms, then restaurants, bars, and bowling alleys. From car dealerships to ski lodges, you name it and odds are your customers expect Free Wi-Fi.

Since 2010 there has been no good Wi-Fi solution for small and medium sized businesses, so most host Wi-Fi networks that are no different from residential networks. Sometimes the business gives out a password to customers, other times the network doesn’t even have a password. Businesses pay expensive bills to provide Free Wi-Fi and in exchange they deal with Campers (people who stay but don’t spend much), thieves (people who use the Wi-Fi without even making a purchase), and cyber security threats. There is a better way.

Sponsored Wi-Fi is a better Wi-Fi solution for businesses. On sponsored Wi-Fi networks customers watch a short commercial in exchange for an hour of free connectivity. Businesses get paid for each commercial shown on their network, receiving a check at the end of each month. Sponsored Wi-Fi networks are not only a free service, but in addition to cash they provide businesses with additional Wi-Fi control and security features.

Learn more by googling GuestNetMedia.com

Koffee

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Is sponsored wifi as fast and reliable as a normal network? How often are ads shown? I'd be tempted to never go use a restaurant's wifi again if it always prompted me to watch an ad

Jbookspan

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
In many cases Sponsored Wi-Fi is more reliable than normal networks, when it comes to speed it will be equivalent. As for how frequently the ads are shown, it is customized by the business owner. On average 15-25 sec video= 1 hour of Free Wi-Fi.

helloWorld

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Is sponsored wifi as fast and reliable as a normal network? How often are ads shown? I'd be tempted to never go use a restaurant's wifi again if it always prompted me to watch an ad

+1

As a customer, I'd find another place for coffee, too. Let's be clear: ads are spyware delivery systems. Asking your customers to not only give up their time to watch an ad, but also get whatever cookies, beacons, LSOs, and other tracking dropped on their device, is just an anti-social way to conduct a business.

Plus, as an owner, like I'd want to pay for bandwidth for videos for every customer who logs on.

I agree there are few pre-packaged solutions for cafes. But the one on offer is a whole pile of fail, IMHO. Perhaps the originating company can come up with a better approach. They have identified a business need, just not a viable solution.