The perfect Iced Tea

Forgive me folks for veering a little to the north. Northeast, that is. I'm talking about my love for Iced Tea in the summer. Here in Maine we've finally found Spring! The grass and the trees and the flowers are out of control. It's a flora explosion!

Having grown up in So. California, I never really experienced Spring. I marvel at it every year. But I do miss a good iced tea, California style.

I would like to relate my favorite brew of Iced Tea, given to me by a friendly Starbucks Corporate Regional sales guy I know. This works with any good black tea. Personally, I like Tetley two cuppers that I get in Canada. It's a different blend and portion than in the US, and very nice hot or cold.

Here goes:
1) Boil your favorite filtered water, only a few ounces needed.
2) Into a half gallon pitcher, place five two cup tea bags.
3) When your water boils, pour it boiling into the pitcher to a level just covering the tea bags.
4) Let it steep for around six minutes.
5) Pull the tea bags, squishing out all tea inside.
6) Fill the pitcher up to the top with cool filtered water.
7) Enjoy over ice. Never sugar or lemon for me.

This makes perfect clear iced tea every time. Very consistent. Ready to drink in eight minutes. I drink it all the time, after my daily joe of course.

Any others have a recipe for outstanding iced tea?

MakoShark

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Having also grown up in So. Cal. and So. Louisiana, I hear where you're coming from in regards to iced tea in the summer. I used to drink it by the gallon in the hot & humid summers of Louisiana. Oddly, but appropriately so, I haven't touched the stuff since I moved to the Northeast! It's too darn cold up here Mako! Ha ha ha.....

Well, I do enjoy having a coffee coolatta at D&D's during the summer here in Massachusetts. They say in Berkshire county, Mass., we have two seasons - Winter and the fourth of July. :D

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Choose your favorite full leaf tea,

Use about 1-2 tablespoons for 12 ounces of hot water (depending on tea).
Steep 4-5 minutes,
Pack glass with ice. (our iced tea is 24 oz,. so that's my reference point)
Pour tea over ice; it will melt about half.
Enjoy.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
Surprisingly the Iced Tea that DD introduced last summer is pretty darn good. My wife is pretty fussy about her iced tea & she likes the DD brew with a slice of lemon. I drink Iced Tea when we are traveling outside of New England because no one seems to know what Iced Coffee is! Whats up with that? They can make Iced Tea but they can't figure out Iced Coffee?

Ongai

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Iced Tea..

Have you guys tried iced tea with lemongrass? It's supposedly healthy and research says that it may cure cancer. I think it was a research in Israel that it kills cancer cells when they looked under a microscope..

I'm not sure with the measurements but just boil the lemongrass and combine it with your favorite tea.. :)