the real deal

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I recently purchased some Jamaican Blue Mountian at £8.97 GBP per 100g (around $18 USD) from my local roaster, however I'm sure it's been mixed with cheaper beens of similar colour ect. The taste is slightly strong for Jamaican Blue Mountian, and it doesn't compare to the the JBM I had some months ago.

Is there any way I can get my money back. As a roaster (if you are one) would you ever refeund coffee, if the customer said it wasn't so good? As a 15 year old teen, I don't have very much money to waste on Jamaican Blue Mountain, that's 20% something else.

Also.. When I asked which estate the beens were from, they didn't know. As a roaster, you'd know where your coffee came from wouldn't you?

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
oh yeah...sorry...you should get a refund for the coffee you were not happy with...just good customer service. If it is being sold as straight JBM it bettter not be a blend.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
and

You should also probably find another source esp. if they don't offer to refund. Anybody worth their salt should be able to tell you which estate it is from for beans that are that expensive.

rcc5k

Dec 10, 2006
Southern CA
Visit site
I buy JBM in barrels and roast it. Getting certification is easy, and should be included in your order. I also would never trust a broker that can't supply certification and tell you which estate the beans came from. They are either dishonest or plain stupid. I suggest you look around for another source of supply.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Last bit of advice to add to the above...especially true if you are a student.

The price of a coffee does not always reflect it's taste e.g. paying loads does not guarantee a great coffee, or even great quality. JBM is well over rated, in the same way as some other very expensive coffees are over hyped and over priced. Price often reflects scarcity, or simply good marketing. The quality of JBM has been declining for many years (for many reasons) and I personally don't think it should command the sort of pricing it does, but marketing and hype means people still pay it.

Treat yourself by buying other coffees that are more moderate in price, but will produce a great cup when roasted correctly.

So cheap Coffee = cheap coffee
Moderately priced coffee = often great coffee
Very High priced coffee = often over hyped dissapointment

Just my 3 hapence worth