The role of the artisan coffee shop

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Being 'right' is a matter of opinion, not much else.
I was right then. I am right now.

For two decades, my shop has been a results based proving ground for my skill and expertise. There's a reason why people who love exceptional culinary things - like wine makers, Michelin Star Chefs, and coffee professionals travel across the country and across the world to find me.

Here's a few of the most recent.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
For two decades, my shop has been a results based proving ground for my skill and expertise.

I think it is a matter of emphasis and goals, a difference of style over substance so to speak. In my world one would say "For over two decades, my shop has been a thriving business providing employment opportunities to the community and value to its customers." That you have managed to do that through your skills and expertise is great, but the goal is to get people to spend their discretionary money on your product. Specialty coffee is not infrastructure, or essential in any real way, so it is a fine achievement to have enduring success at this, in perilous times.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I think it is a matter of emphasis and goals, a difference of style over substance so to speak. In my world one would say "For over two decades, my shop has been a thriving business providing employment opportunities to the community and value to its customers." That you have managed to do that through your skills and expertise is great, but the goal is to get people to spend their discretionary money on your product. Specialty coffee is not infrastructure, or essential in any real way, so it is a fine achievement to have enduring success at this, in perilous times.

I appreciate your thoughts and kind words.

Your general idea is spot on, but I would disagree with your framing and conclusion. Everything I do is substance oriented. So it's a quality first systems based approach as a means for providing a best culinary experience to the customer.

Craft and artisanship bring a shared visceral happiness to both the artisan and the one who experiences it. Whether through food, music, reading, or physical art, happiness - and a shared happiness - is a necessary thing.

But happiness isn't for everyone.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I am familiar with that kind of thinking.

Happiness resulting from craft is not free. Although I love what I do, there's a price for this level of execution, and I like that people pay what I ask and still find it to be a tremendous value.

We definitely disagree on our base philosophy, but I understand that your perspective is the more commion one.

I wish you continued success in whatever it is that you do. ☕️

Latest posts