Thought I had seen it all

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
So I get a call from one of our locations. They said their espresso grinder was "broken" The said it had power but the digital read out did not light up. When I arrived it was sitting on the ground with the top off. I just glanced and saw a bolt. Turns out someone accidently dropped a small bolt in it. I got it out and put it back together. Turned it on and everything worked great. The assistant manager said that it wouldn't run for long. He said that ever since one of the employees washed it, it hadn't run properly. Wait..washed how? Turns out an employee thought washing it meant pouring water into the hopper. I told them to tell that employee to go home and have them "wash" their TV...better yet their toaster oven. Sigh. I was speechless. Moving forward in the training manual it will say do not pour water into the grinder or anything else electronic :neutral: .

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I've come close to pouring water in my grinder in the morning when I'm not thinking straight, but that there takes the cake. Is the young man still with you? He may need his paycheck garnished for a year to help him learn how important it is to think first.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Yes he is still with the company...not sure if he is "with" us. In the end it is my fault for not telling them to now pour water in it. lol. Just kidding. You try and think of every scenario possible and you just can't. I think we should post all crazy stories so we can make sure it doesn't happen to others.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes he is still with the company...not sure if he is "with" us. In the end it is my fault for not telling them to now pour water in it. lol. Just kidding. You try and think of every scenario possible and you just can't. I think we should post all crazy stories so we can make sure it doesn't happen to others.

Have you considered that perhaps when someone is told to "wash" versus "clean" something, and they have never observed the process or have never had the process explained, that perhaps that person made a reasonable, yet incorrect, assumption (of which we are all guilty) that "washing" involves water? Not trying to be a smart ass here, but as a suggestion, it would be wise to commit all processes into a procedure manual that is a mandatory reference tool for anyone undertaking a routine task for the first time. Just sayin'...

Cheers!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am right there with you. Lol. I would never say wash. Not sure why the manager used that term. It has been addressed and hopefully never happens again.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure that my last post came across as though I was pointing something out of which I thought you were unaware. No offense intended topher. I'm just as speechless when this kind of thing happens, and 9 times out of 10 the culprit is miscommunication or lack of communicating specific directions. Effective communication is a management skill, so I guess the point of my post was that the manager and not necessarily the employee should be accountable in this instance, and the fact that the employee is still employed suggests you felt likewise. Cheers!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
While training new employees, I've learned the hard way that we're now living in a world where common sense seems to have gone out the window. Even the most basic things need to be explained, in detail, to avoid the "obvious" getting missed.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
While training new employees, I've learned the hard way that we're now living in a world where common sense seems to have gone out the window. Even the most basic things need to be explained, in detail, to avoid the "obvious" getting missed.

So what you're saying, Rose, is common sense isn't as common as it used to be?