Time behind the bar?

villagejoe

Mar 10, 2007
Visit site
For you shop owners out there: About how many hours per day/week do you spend behind the bar? How much time in administrative duties? How much time on promotion/marketing?

I'm finding that I am working 30+ hours as a barista, and I fit in managerial stuff during down times and when closing shift people take over in the afternoons. I probably spend a few hours per week on marketing and promotion, mainly on email advertising, promoting regular events, and running our weekly trivia night.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
i think it would differ from bar to bar.
it depends on your staff you have, how busy it is.
how much admin work you have etc...
taking the time to count the hours spent behind the bar, or the roastery or the office would waste even more time :wink:
rather just skip the lot and carry on working in the area which needs the immediate attention....owners cant work shifts......they work non stop!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Behind the Bar - 60 hours a week

Admin - Maybe 6 hours most weeks (much more End of Quarter)
Most things are pretty automatic, and closing is a breeze.

Marketing - Always.

Aug 24, 2008
Littleton, CO
Visit site
Hours behind the bar

Yep 60 hours behind the bar sounds about right. Before I sold my coffee shop I was probably doing that. The guy that bought it from me is probably doing more. He's open 6a-10p and maybe has one other employee. Sadly for a lot of coffee shops that's what it requires to make it. Once my wife was pregnant I decided I couldn't do that. I'll run one again some day.