To Open or Not To Open- Please Read my Post

bgaassoc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am interested in opening a coffee bar in Austin Texas located near the UT campus. The locaiton is an old two story home 3 blocks from campus. The owner is looking at rezoning it to a CS-1 site. He said it should take about six months.

Its a large home with a great layout and 2,500 sq ft. The location will rely mostly on student housing and walking clients and word of mouth. There isn't any competition near by. The closest location is about 2.5+ miles away and the competition close by is usually busy.

I know I will have to prepare my money/budget for when campus is out for holiday's and slow in summers, but the rest of the year it should be strong. I walked the neighborhood and asked those who lived near the location how they would feel about a coffee bar being at the location and everyone loved the idea.

The rent is 2,600 a month and it would be just me, so I would like to hire 3 people probably part time. I am a baker so I would have things for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Since my client base would be students it would be good and low in cost.

I wanted to run my situation by those who have the experience, asking their throughts. I am putting a business plan together for start up costs and long term goals. I am lucky to own a duplex. I live in one side and rent the other side so my mortgage is low. I don't have bills other than mortgage and insurance and utilities. I was thinking of saving my income from the coffee bar for the downtimes just to be prepared. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Patti, Austin, TX

Patti I say buy an existing business for your first hit-up. I say this from my own experience- much better to have guaranteed cashflow coming through the till from day one, than gambling on getting it to projected targets. I know the dream is to set your own perfect place up, but I think get your hands dirty and your skills with F&B as well as cafe management down-pat first. Its my view, and of course buy a proffitable business thats on the market. good luck

pama

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
i have a 30k foot retail store w 40 employees and 700 customers a day...was thinkink ing of devoting 150? sq feet for an expreeso stand...wwyd?

jmeiss

Dec 5, 2005
Lenexa, Kansas
Visit site
pama said:
i have a 30k foot retail store w 40 employees and 700 customers a day...was thinkink ing of devoting 150? sq feet for an expreeso stand...wwyd?

What is local to you in terms of competition? What type of retail store? What is the demographic of your customer base? Are your "regulars" interested?

Why do you want to do an Espresso kiosk?

PM me with more questions