To Sell or not to Sell

mightybean

Apr 8, 2003
Medina, Ohio
Visit site
I am thinking of selling my online coffee website store. I have recieved a few offers and I am considering them. I started the store to apply the basic principles of business that I was learning in school. It has gotten to the point that I either need to sell it off or pump money into it to get it growing. I really enjoy it but I think in order for it to grow it will need a greater influx of cash then I am comfortable in investing. I think the name and logo are all very marketable for the right person with the right amount of capital. Im in a pickle forum, what should I do.

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
If you have a passsion for quality coffee and espresso I suggest plungung into it full-time and developing the business further. If instead your interest has simly been the business and revenue side of things... sell it and find another business. But don't hold the paper - sell it outright or not at all.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey M.B.:

I guess you have to look inside yourself and ask the question..."Why did I start this on-line business in the first place?" I understand that you started it off using the principles you learned in school, however, putting this amount of hard work into it just to give it up almost seems counter productive. One has to consider when owning a business that there will be risks, especially financially. I don't know what it took for you to start your business, but if you have others that are helping you currently, you might want to confide in them to see if they would become investors and/or owners as well. Or maybe seek investors from the outside if you wish to continue on with this venture. One of the biggest hurdles in business is the cost of doing business, whereas, when you receive price increases from your vendors, you must pass these increases on to your customers. The hard part is how much and when.

Do you have your coffee roasted and private labeled for you and then you distribute on-line? And if this is the case, do you have a good and steady customer base? If so, those are just the beginning stages. If you really like the business, then you will find a way to keep it going. But on the other hand if you truly feel that you've had enough and don't wish to continue then by all means sell. I agree with P56, if you have a passion for this, then jump in full time, but if you don't sell it out right and find something else to do. Only you can make that choice...

mightybean

Apr 8, 2003
Medina, Ohio
Visit site
Thanks guys, honestly setting it up was the easiest part of the business, It was challenging, Now I simply take internet orders and issue P.O.'s. It does pay for itself and I draw a few bucks for personal use but I am getting a little bored. My real passion is for old muscle car parts, I may get into that business as I have plenty of opportunity. Again thanks for you answers.

mightybean

Apr 8, 2003
Medina, Ohio
Visit site
Coffee Guy said:
Well M.B.:

I'd say selling is probably in your best interest. Good luck to you...By the way, the '66 GTO has always been my dream car. Can't seem to afford one these days... :wink:

66 tripower, nice car, rare, and is a good investment. :wink: