TOPER v. Diedrich v. Ambex

XTR

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Looking for a small (~30lb batch size) roaster. The three companies in the subject seem to be the most commonly available in the US. Can anyone give some pros/cons of each manufacturer in this size range?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
small roaster

Call Dan at US Roaster Corp in OK
I was going with an Ambex until I spoke to him. Had my roaster delivered last month.
Charlie

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Not sure why you wouldn't have Probat on that list. The L12 is by far the cream of the crop in that class and most likely anything over 25 pounds. Granted, it's probably more expensive but with roasters you truly get what you pay for. :wink:

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
i am new to roasting and i have been shopping for ambex. however i am interested in the same subject reguarding all the above roasters and am looking for a smaller roaster like 5- 10 Lbs.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
If you can afford it, get a new Probat- Probatone 12. If not, look into a US Roasters Corp. Renegade Roaster, one of their rebuilt roasters or even a smaller Sivetz fluid bed roaster if you want something simple to use. I have roasted on all these machines and more and would strongly advise against purchasing anything made in the middle east due to quality issues. Problems with these roasters include but are not limited to:
Antiquated drum blade design
Parts not UL listed or up to code
Miss-matched motor size
Unbalanced drums
Uneven frame
Poor welds
Rusted frames
Poor cooling bin agitator design
Cheap motors
Cheap bearings
Unbalanced fan blades
Drums rotating counter to blade design
Damper and drum door handles that fall off or break
Warped cooling bin
Poor burner design
Inability to control or adjust fan speed and or burner btu
Poor temp. probe placement
Poor airflow design that leads to creosote build up
Improper guage steel on exhaust plumbing

The list goes on and on... like another member said, you get what you pay for.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
I'm sure to get admonished for a shameless plug but what the heck... :D

If you're looking at the 5-10 pound range don't leave out the Fresh Roast System. More expensive than the others but... again, you get what you pay for. Technolgy-wise there's no system even remotely close. The other thing is that it is also adjustable to the point that you can emulate any of the other roaster environments from a Sivetz to a Probat. Because it's a traditional drum it can't quite get a pure Sivetz type air roast but darn close. Sort of like four or five roasters in one.

Java Jim

I have an Ambex YM-5 and am very happy with it. Ambex manufacturers very high quality roasters.

I have taken the four-day class that Ambex teaches and have visited their production facility. Nowhere did I see any hint of poor craftmanship. I talked to Paul, their engineer and Don, who builds, repairs, and does maintenance on the roasters. They are professionals that take pride in their work.

When I had a problem with the roaster, they helped me out and took care of it.

I do not know what kind of beef coffeeexpert has with roasters of Turkish orgin but his post is very much off base. Ambex roaster shells are made in Turkey, but most of the other components are installed at their facility in Clearwater, Florida. I can state very positively that the list of problems with Middle eastern products that coffeeexpert writes is inaccurate and does not apply to Ambex.

coffeeexpert - can you provide any specific brands and examples of problem roasters or are you blowing hot air again!

Terry called you out once on this, are you at it again?

Coffeeexpert- your post(s) would be laughable were they not so potentially damaging to the companies and the readers that seek to convey and receive information in an open, factual manner. Posters such as yourself, that mislead and misinform, either on purpose or accidently waste a lot of honest people''s time. It is posters such as yourself that drive many coffee professionals from these discussion boards; professionals that have concrete information that they would be willing to share. But, who are unwilling to argue with anonymous ignoramuses such as you.

Specifically,your posts about Ambex are neither true in fact nor in implication. Perhaps you should come to us and learn for yourself. And while you are here you could try an apology to the men and women that work hard to put out a great product, innovate, and help move this industry forward. The same could be said of many of the companies and professions you seek to malign; including brokers and roasters as well as equipment manufacturers. Our industry, already suffereing from a glut of cheap and easy celebrity could actually use a few less people with your proclivities. In short you hurt the very industry you profess to want to help.
I am more than happy to answer any questions about my roaster and experiences- Jim

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Coffeeexpert said:
If you can afford it, get a new Probat- Probatone 12. If not, look into a US Roasters Corp. Renegade Roaster, one of their rebuilt roasters or even a smaller Sivetz fluid bed roaster if you want something simple to use. I have roasted on all these machines and more and would strongly advise against purchasing anything made in the middle east due to quality issues. Problems with these roasters include but are not limited to:
Antiquated drum blade design
Parts not UL listed or up to code
Miss-matched motor size
Unbalanced drums
Uneven frame
Poor welds
Rusted frames
Poor cooling bin agitator design
Cheap motors
Cheap bearings
Unbalanced fan blades
Drums rotating counter to blade design
Damper and drum door handles that fall off or break
Warped cooling bin
Poor burner design
Inability to control or adjust fan speed and or burner btu
Poor temp. probe placement
Poor airflow design that leads to creosote build up
Improper guage steel on exhaust plumbing

The list goes on and on... like another member said, you get what you pay for.

which roasters are you talking about here in particular?

ElPugDiablo

This thread is getting way off on a tangent. Any one have roast on Toper, Ambex AND Diedrich here please answer the original poster's question. I have limited experience with Ambex, none on Toper, but know quite a bit about Diedrich, specifically older ir-12. So, XTR, here is my take on Diedrich. The infrared heat tile system with its gentler heat works great on beans that benefit from a longer roasting cycle. But if you are roasting close to 70% of capacity and you are behind on your roasting curve, you are dead. Diedrich is a low air flow single blower machine, if you like a lot of air flow convection roasting, this is not it. Cooling time on Diedrich is less than ideal and the wall of the cooling bin is too low.

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Coffeeexpert said:
Don, I'm not going to name names. I'm not here to trash a particular company... just want people to be aware that they get what they pay for.
not trying to attack you or anythign but where did you get all of your expert coffee training at and how long have you been in the buisness? where are you roasting now and which machine do you use?