Trusting your broker...

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
How much can or do you depend on or trust the opinions of your green coffee supplier/broker as far as quality goes? Do they ever supply you with information on blending or other aspects of the selection process? Do they cup every bag?

ElPugDiablo

I think they cup every lot, but not every bag. Unfortunately even within the same lot, you can have deviation from bag to bag. If you work with reputable brokers, there is no reason they will not be truthful. But if you don't ask the right questions, they may or may not volunteer the information to you.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
I should rephrase that...

It was not meant in terms of getting ripped off. I was wondering more about how much one could or should depend on their opinions and recommendations, etc. Does anyone put their hands entirely into the hands of a broker? I would have to imagine so because running a business and getting away to some pretty remote places don't go so well together. :shock:

As I work directly with growers at origin, I do not go through a broker. However I would expect as they are professionals and their business depends on roasters coming back to them- that they would offer as much advice as possible. The brokers I know in the US are true professionals, some even with roasting experience. However I am not sure this is the norm elsewhere...I know a lot of European brokers who do not have roasting experience at all. In the European case the brokers rely on feedback from their big roasting clients rather than the other way around.

My guess is that the future of brokers in the business should be that they can offer not just basic advice on the greens the offer- but also comprehensive origin information to their clientale- including traceability, photos, geographical information, plant type (specific type of Arabica plant the green is from etc).

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Fresh Roaster said:
I should rephrase that...

It was not meant in terms of getting ripped off. I was wondering more about how much one could or should depend on their opinions and recommendations, etc. Does anyone put their hands entirely into the hands of a broker? I would have to imagine so because running a business and getting away to some pretty remote places don't go so well together. :shock:
Some Roastmasters I have met put their faith completely in their broker and don't cup coffees period. You'd be surprised who these people are. :wink:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Matt,

If you find a broker or supplier whose cupping matches your palate and you not only agree with their descriptions, you tend to like what they are bringing you... then I would trust their recommendations.

Usually you cup five or six random cups from each lot and go from there.
Just as with any relationship, trust is based on performance.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Coffeeexpert said:
Some Roastmasters I have met put their faith completely in their broker and don't cup coffees period. You'd be surprised who these people are. :wink:

That's a bold statement. I couldn't imagine someone not testing the products they sell.
We test ours constantly! :D

Sidikalang

Aug 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote:94e5aeed83=\"Fresh Roaster\"]How much can or do you depend on or trust the opinions of your green coffee supplier/broker as far as quality goes? Do they ever supply you with information on blending or other aspects of the selection process? Do they cup every bag?[/quote:94e5aeed83]

We as exporter or shipper do not cup every bag, nbut only refer on the preshipment samples. :) But of course the source of the coffee comes from one original plantation area that have been tied into one cooperation to supply coffee for us every harvest seasons.. :)
So the coffee''s will be same and just need to manage the quality control in warehouse and make grading also drying process. :wink:

roaster dave

Aug 6, 2008
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
I've found that brokers are typically very useful in providing accurate details about the greens they sell. Obviously, if you are buying greens, you should be sampling a 1/2 pound or so before making any serious purchases. Said broker may have a different idea from yours about what makes a great cup of coffee. In the end, its the result in YOUR cup that matters!