Trying to decide on a 12/15 kilo roster

coffeepod

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi

We are in the market for a 12 or 15 kilo coffee roaster, and have been looking around at the different roasters that are available.

I like the idea of the Diedrich IR12 as it keeps the products of combustion away from the beans, but now having read about the Probat cast iron drum, that also seems quite good, but now I have also looked at the Joper Roaster which is also cast iron, then there is the Giesen roaster that looks good as well???

I also need to look at the 'logging software' that comes with the different makes.

It just seems a bit of a nightmare, as one moment I think one make is best then change my mind, I did look at the Loring but that was just to expensive coming in at £50,000 in the UK.

Any advice would be welcome, as this is our first adventure into roasting, as we are starting our own roastery after years of buying in from others.

Thanks

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
in US, Probat and Diedrich would have been the choice for many professional roasters because of their reliability, dependability and service from the company.
I also would purchase bigger roaster then smaller one if you are looking to gain more customers in the future.

coffeepod

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have got it down to either the Diedrich 12kg or the Giesen 15kg

Does anyone have any opinions on which is the best?

Thanks

coffeepod

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that, I think it will be the Giesen Roaster, I have been in touch with them, but they want to charge £2000 for delivery from the Netherlands t the UK!!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
My shipping from Turkey to Ireland less than 1,000 EUROS so Giesen is loony charging that much. Also had to pay 23% vat on the roaster (Turkish, cast iron, 10kg -- great service, lovely price) so remember VAT/custom's duties.

These people offer very reasonable rates:

GC Distribution
Beacon Hill Ind Est
Botany Way
Purfleet
Essex
RM19 1SR
Main Telephone: 01708 863323
Fax: 01708 861579

coffeepod

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
We have placed the order with Giesen for their 15kg roaster, I have also ordered their Destoner & Electrostic filter. We have worked out the cost of Van Hire, travel on the Channel Tunnel, Fuel etc and that comes to just on £500, so we are collecting from them.

We are VAT registered so not a problem there.

''Delivery should be 8/10 weeks, then we just need to work out how to use it and try and match the blends that we already sell.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Congratulations!

Recently saw a video of a Giesen 15K install in Hawaii and they had some options you might be interested in. 1. Manual gas valve on the roaster left side. 2. Magnehelic gas pressure gauge.3. Magnehelic air pressure gauge (negative drum pressure). 4. Air damper installed between the roaster and Afterburner. Both Magnehelic gauges were mounted in a small box near the manual gas valve.

I've seen several sales videos on the Geisen and the small keypad controller did not seem very convenient. I'm assuming the profiling system is more user friendly. But what happens when the roaster controller goes bonkers? Manual gas valve and gauge to the rescue!

Last edited: