Trying To Make Good Coffee...Not Succeeding

ACK!

Jun 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi. I'm a newbie here and I hope someone can help me out. I just bought a Mr. Coffee machine for work and some ground dunkin donuts coffee figuring it would taste great.

Wrong! I'm doing everything the way I'm supposed to be doing, but the coffee doesn't taste good or taste right???

Anybody have possible theories as to what I may be doing wrong???

Thanks! :-D

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
ACK! said:
Hi. I'm a newbie here and I hope someone can help me out. I just bought a Mr. Coffee machine for work and some ground dunkin donuts coffee figuring it would taste great.

Based on a couple of the clues in the original message of what could possibly be wrong, I'm not so certain that this is entirely a process-related problem.

unit_number_43

May 8, 2006
Pennsylvania
Visit site
True, you're not working with the best eqiupment or product... But most likely you biggest problem is that you're not using properly (thoroughly) filtered water. coffee is 98% (something like that) water, so if the water's not great, so goes the coffee. Try using a brita water filter and double filtering your water before brewing the coffee. Also make sure that your coffee is in a cool, dry, and dark enviroment. Heat, moisture, and light kill coffee ESPECIALLY ground coffee.

Hmmmm.....Why I pre grind 5 lb bags of Columbian for a couple of resturaunt and you know what? It's really good coffee. Why? Because I determine grind size and coffee amount for any given batch size and brewing device. Drip coffee from a Mr. Coffee should taste great, as long as the extraction is on target...I recomend you take a look at:

http://www.bunnomatic.com/retail/dos_donts.html

and esp: http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/coffeeb ... ments.html

Please do get a good grinder like: http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/BCGB.html
If you are interested I can get you one for a real good price.

I love to educate, be humble, and provide excellent help,

Troy

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
Ideas

Use a water filter

Check your anount: I prefer between a full tablespoon to 1 1/2 to a standard size. I know many people use 2. That what the instructions say on star.... But I think 2 tablespoons per cup is too much. If its bitter than your probably using too much coffee

Clean your coffee machine
The way I like to to do this is run some vinnegar through it about a couple of tablespoons. Than run water through it to rinse it. I wouldn't use soap if I was you

JM

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
also

Might also be because it is a new machine.
Did you run water through it a couple of times first?
You may be picking up packing dust or whatever.

Personaly I can make good(enough)tasting coffee in any machine, Mr.Coffee or no. Drip machines are pretty basic. Most people just don't use enough grounds from my experience.

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
I had a problem with my old Mr. Coffee drip machine where it wasn't getting the water hot enough. The pot was hot but it was not getting to a near boil (or whatever the ideal temperature needed to be). The coffee was tasting almost sour no matter what kind of water or beans I was using. Turns out, that specific model had widespread problems with its heater element and there were a lot of complaints. This probably isn't the problem you are having but I thought I would mention it.