Turkish coffee anyone?

turkish

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hello--newbie here. based on my name, you might guess i like turkish coffee. i wouldn't call it my favorite type of coffee per se, but i did find i liked it much more than i thought i would. i had never had it until i spent some time in Europe. i've found that many Americans don't like it--but many Central and Eastern Europeans do. anyone have any opininions?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I used to do Turkish coffee table side at this restaurant I roasted for back in the day. It was pretty cool...guest loved it!! I like taking turkish ground coffee and baking them into brownies....it rocks!! I just showed my age by saying it rocks didn't I? :oops:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
it is quite the experience...you boil your coffee and water in an ibrik..slowly 3 times..then you pour the liquid mud into a cup...sip slowly. The coffee is so fine that it doesnt stick to your teeth. Everone should try it at least once.

About 60% of the greens that are used in Turkish coffee come from Indonesia. From here quite a good volume is shipped to, believe it or not, Australia...where it is roasted and I assume ground and ackaged- then sent on to Turkey, or Greece. If Chris K is around, he could probably tell a few tales about this, as this is part of the biz he does out of OZ. Generally Turkish coffee is about grade a zillion, if it existed. Those in teh know reckon that the sticks, husks, floaters and other niceties that specialty coffee rejects MAKE Turkish coffee what it is.

I myself have developed quite a taste for Turkish style coffee since moving to Indonesia. There are very few Turkish restaurants here (read only 2 in Jakarta- a city of 15,000,000!) but there are some very good Middle Eastern restaurants that serve Turkish coffee- and the Lebanese equivalent.

Esma

Jan 20, 2006
Visit site
hi

I am from Jacksonville .. I come from Turkey.. Does someone know if there exist any turkish people in or around jaxsonville.. thanks a lot
8)

DAME

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Turkish Coffee

They serve Turkish Coffee at River Nile Coffee in Keller TX

It is so good, they bring special raosted beans from Egypt, mixed with some spice, and it really taste great.

dpsycho

Jun 8, 2006
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Visit site
Ha Ha, turkish!! In Greece it is one of the "national" drinks (I actually think Greeks drink it more than turks do - I know a few turkish friends who mostly drink tea)
Anyway, there are many people in Greece who call it "turkish" (and I think the older generations always called it turkish - my dad still does) and they get corrected by younger people. But come to think about it, its origins must be arabic, thus the best naming should be "arabic" coffee, I think.

Good point. Actually the Turkish - Greek animosity thing has always interested me. I remember asking for Tukish Coffee in a Greek restaurant many years ago, and the waiter (an elderly Greek), spat on th floor and muttered something nasty before walking away and bringing back a sachet of Nestle instant! No Turkish (or Greek) coffee in that establishment! Back to your point, indeed the Lebanese have almost exactly the same method of preparing coffee, not sure about the counties further Southeast of there.

dpsycho

Jun 8, 2006
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Good point. Actually the Turkish - Greek animosity thing has always interested me. I remember asking for Tukish Coffee in a Greek restaurant many years ago, and the waiter (an elderly Greek), spat on th floor and muttered something nasty before walking away and bringing back a sachet of Nestle instant! No Turkish (or Greek) coffee in that establishment! Back to your point, indeed the Lebanese have almost exactly the same method of preparing coffee, not sure about the counties further Southeast of there.

haha, typical!!!

By the way, I didn't answer (I think someone asked) about the coffee itself.
The grinds have to be very fine, like powder and from all the grocerie stores I have never been able to get it as fine as it should be on their grinders. Second, the coffee must be a light roast and usually, in Greece we use Santos (I think that is what the bean is called). So I would suggest to buy a turkish or greek branded coffee from a local arabic/mediterenean store (we've got plenty in Michigan). I don't know of any turkish brands but the Greek brands are "Bravo" which is good and is an everyday brand in Greece and "Papagalos Loumidis" which is supposed to be a more gourmet type. They both come in air-tight opaque bags that do a pretty good job of keeping the coffee fresh.

spanglish_kid

Jun 16, 2006
Visit site
i remember first having turkish coffee when working at a festival and at the end of the day a group of us would get together at this greek stall to drinking some turkish and relax...
i enjoyed it so much that i use to make it in the mornings at school untill they removed the kitchen. I also remeber a once, after staying up for about 40 hours and having to meet up with someone, getting a "cure for a hangover" which was a turkish coffee with three shots.... it was quite strong and set me for another 4 hours :D