Turkish coffee help

ondrajka

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
To start off I was a American civilian contractor working in Iraq from 2009-2010. One of my co workers was from Albania. One day he asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee, being an avid coffee drinker and not wanting to insult him I said yes. He asked me if I liked strong coffee and I said yes, he just smiled and said good. A few minuted he came back with a Styrofoam cup of coffee with a thick layer of brown foam on the top of it. This is how I was first introduced to the world of Turkish coffee. I lost contact with him after we both separated ways and have not been able to find him on facebook.

I have tried dozens of different brands of Turkish coffee but have not been able to reproduce the taste of the coffee he used to make there.

He would put the grounds in a Styrofoam cup and fill it halfway with water. Then put it in a microwave on high until you could see a rolling boil foam to the top of the cup. Let it sit for a minute or two and drink. Never needed sugar or anything else was good the way it was.

His wife used to send him the coffee in care packaged from his home in Albania. I would assume that it was a local product or from one of the near by countries. I remember looking at the packages and not being able to read them. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is it had a picture of a white haired old lady on the back of the package. They were small plastic pouches only a few ounces. Can't remember if they were vacuum sealed or not and I think they were silver in color but I am not exactly sure.

So after my little story comes my questions.

Does anyone have any clue what brand this might be?

Anyone know of any additives they might put in coffee in that area? (I have already tried cardamon and chicory next going to try coriander)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
First off, welcome to the forums! I have no idea what brand that might be...sorry. The reason I am responding is because I have never heard of turkish coffee being prepared that way. I make it all the time but I use an Ibrik and put it on a low heat. I bring it to a slow boil 3 times. Love the stuff!! Good luck on your search. Let us know what you find.

Foszer

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I love Turkish coffee, Ondrajka. I've never had it boiled in a microwave with a styrofoam cup though (that might've given it that special flavor :)

I think you'd be impressed with the Ibrik method mentioned above.

Sorry I couldn't help with the specific brand though. If you go to a Turkish or Mideastern store you should be able to find Mehmet Efendi from Turkey. As for additives, my wife only puts in some sugar (pref. brown) and possibly some milk.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "ondrajka"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I can't imagine boiling the coffee in a styrofoam cup. I've never had much success heating anything in styrofoam. I always seems to melt.

It's only been a few years . . . Is there any way you could correspond with the co-worker who introduced you to that coffee?

There a a lot of people on this forum from all parts of the globe. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you figure out how to find the coffee that you're looking for.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have done many Turkish coffee and it is not very advisable to boil water in the Styrofoam cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqzo8TBx_w

I included copy of how to make turkish coffee.
I really don't think it really matters what type of coffee you are using as long as they are dark roasted but the grind matters the most.
You have to grind the bean to powder like.

If you make it like the video shows above, you will get the taste of you are looking for.

CJ