Turkish Coffee???

JavaNights

Sep 29, 2005
Dallas,Texas
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I tried this twice so far with what I think was really good but don't know for sure.

Coffee: Guatemalan SHB HHT region.
Roast: Full City
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Set to 3
Pot: Copper
Heat: Kitchen Stove electric

Took to heaping teaspoons of Coffee and placed it into the pot.

Added two cups of water.

A little Nut Meg.

I packet of Sugar.

Placed the pot filled with coffee/water and set the temp to medium. Came to a boil and took it off the burner and let it sit for 1 min. Then back on the burner, came to boil, let sit for 1 min. Then again one more time.

Poured into a large cup and let it sit. Way too hot to drink right away. From what I've read on the internet, the coffee was suppose to come to a foam. Mine didn't.

Taste is very clean as compared to a drip process.

With the process explained above, is it still considered Turkish Coffee??

Also, does anyone know what Authentic blends are used in Turkey/Greece/ Middle East etc. ???

Thanks,
Joe

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Turkish coffee is the grind.. powdery fine..

Usually Brasil Santos.. or Brasil Minas is used..Minas is very popular with our Balkan friends...

Lebanese is darker.
Turkish is medium to dark.
Greek is light

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Javanights..... Turks and Greeks use Santos.
Minas is pretty much Bosnian, Serbian, Croat etc. So dont use it unless you have Former Yugoslav Republic countries... The Minas were talking about isnt specialty coffee from Minas.. its a style thats inferior to generic Santos.. has a very weird taste.
Its roasted medium to medium dark for them.

Stick to the generic Santos 17/18 for Turks and Greeks.

Just pay attention to the roast. Greek is cinnamon. Turkish is city to full city but not past the second crack.

Chammy

Feb 1, 2006
Desert
Visit site
Can i use the Turkish coffee to make espresso? I have some of the coffee, 3 sample bags, sometime I'd like to use it in my espresso machine.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Chammy said:
Can i use the Turkish coffee to make espresso? I have some of the coffee, 3 sample bags, sometime I'd like to use it in my espresso machine.

If its ground Turkish fine its too fine.. the water wont fuse with the coffee. It wont channel through into the cup.

Chammy

Feb 1, 2006
Desert
Visit site
Thats true, damn!

I have one question: Is it me or is Turkish coffee very very powerfull? I mean, when i drink it I have to make sure and sip it, cause boy, talk about jitters afterward. Is it the same as drinking an espresso?