TV cup-one

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Ok I've had this for a week now and while I still experimenting with a few things I have to say I'm very happy with it. The only thing I have to compare it with is my Bunn Phase Brew that just died and a Keurig Mini.

First thing I noticed is it takes less coffee than the Bunn to get the same strength but this is kind of hard to judge because with the Bunn I had to make 4 cups/20oz so with out a scale I'm just guessing, I just cut it in half for the 10oz the TV makes. With that being said it's allowing me to use more coffee with out it tasting bad or stronger than I care for. Seemed like with the Bunn it was easier to make it to strong or to weak. With the TV I believe using more coffee is giving it a more taste without it seeming stronger. It's hard to explain but increasing the coffee in the TV is different than increasing it in the Bunn. Like I said, hard to explain.

One thing I knew I would like is not messing with a carafe, clean up with this is just what I was looking for. I also get a kick out of being able to watch it bloom, I haven't seen this in a long time. I remember when my wife and I were first dating going over to her dads house on Sunday morning for breakfast he used a Chemex. At the time I remember thinking that's a lot of work for coffee. At the time my idea of coffee was ButterNut and a Mr Coffee, we would make a full pot and only drink half of it then we would nuke the other half the next day. I guess you could say I've come along way!

Next up I want to invest in a scale. We did inherit the Chemex when my father in-law passed so I want to play around with that on the weekends. Any suggestions on a scale would be welcome, all I know is you need one that you can control the on/off so it doesn't keep shutting off on you.

Thanks for your time!

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Next up I want to invest in a scale. We did inherit the Chemex when my father in-law passed so I want to play around with that on the weekends. Any suggestions on a scale would be welcome, all I know is you need one that you can control the on/off so it doesn't keep shutting off on you.
There are many digital "kitchen" scales available on Amazon. I have the Oxo. What you need is the ability to measure in ounces as well as grams. Most of them also have a timer and a tare button (zero it out button). The tare button allows you to zero out the weight of the container so as to get an accurate measurement of the contents. Put the empty cup on the scale, zero it out, and then fill the cup to the desired weight of water, or beans or whatever.

Most of them are good enough, and cost under $30.00 bucks. Some significantly less. Not too much of an investment.

I have never noticed problems with it shutting off on me.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
A digital scale makes all the difference in the world. Measure the weight of beans going into your grinder, and the weight of water going into your brewer or poured over your grinds.

The ratio of water to coffee you want is to up to you, but I find most folks go with about a 16 to 1 water to coffee, up to about 18 to 1. I do a solid 17 to one ratio, and love it. The main thing is you can hit it accurately with your scale every time, so when you find a ratio you like, you can stick with it.

So much better that teaspoons or level scoopers or anything volume. Better than gradations of the side of a carafe, which are notoriously inaccurate. Never "eyeball" it again!