Types of coffee

madamegooseberry

Jun 5, 2006
Midwest
Visit site
:D Me again! I keep reading folks' questions about coffee types. I've never had green coffee but it looks interesting.

Do you use different types of beans for different types of coffee drinks? Can you find one bean and just use it exclusively? Or would having more than one type of bean give flavor variety?

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
ummm

Wow(no offense) but you are either really new to this or this post is a joke.

what the hell I'll bite(its late and I have nothing else to do anyway)

green beans are unroasted coffee. I suppose you can brew them but it would be real bitter

coffee is not actually a bean its a seed pit like olives have have. They grow within "cherries"-the fruit of the coffee plant(its a tree...some say a shrubb)

there are several types of coffee...we drink 2 of them Robusto and Arabica

Robusto grows at low(er) altitudes and is usually less flavorful but some people prefer it for some reason. Usualy described as tasting like a brown paper bag.

Arabica grows at higher altitudes. Most coffees you buy now are Arabica.

Coffee takes its flavor from the soil it is grown in therefore coffees from different geographical regions taste differently.

Most coffee comes from either Central/South America, Africa or Indonesia

African coffee tastes "dirty". Its strong and processed differently than the others usually...unwashed

Coffee from the Americas is the most common here in the US. Less bitter than African but it has a variety of "flavors"

Indonesian coffees are usually more mellow in flavor. Personaly prefer them for my regular morning cup. Very "drinkable" for people who don't drink alot of coffee and can't handle bitter flavors.

They can and are often blended together.

Any type of these coffees can be used in any of the coffee drinks however they all use espresso unless you are talking about drip("regular")coffee.

Espresso is a term used to describe the way in which the coffee is brewed and the fineness to which it is ground....not the roast though this a common misnomer. The coffee used is usually one of the darker roasts but this varies from location to location. It is also a common misnomer that the darker a coffee is roasted the more caffine it will have. It is the opposite.