Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Starbucks faces buggy rap

BY PAUL H.B. SHIN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Should it be Starbucks or Star...bugs?
Current and former employees of the gourmet coffee chain filed a federal complaint yesterday claiming their corporate bosses have refused to heed repeated warnings about inadequate training and chronic infestations of roaches, rats and other vermin in New York stores.

But the company strongly denied the allegations, noting the complaints were coordinated by a handful of activists who are trying to unionize the chain's normally merry band of baristas.

Out of the 201 Starbucks stores in the city, the Department of Health issued notices of violation to 44 for rodent or insect activity in the most recent round of inspections, city records show.

The complaints filed by Starbucks employees with the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration focus on three stores - at Union Square East, E. Ninth St. and Second Ave., and E. 57th St. and Lexington Ave.

"I constantly have to deal with mice, cockroaches and fruit flies all over the place," said Tomer Malchi, 24, who works at the Union Square store. "The root of the problem is that we're never staffed properly to clean the place right and we never have the right equipment to clean the stores."

Starbucks, which has refused to recognize the union, brushed off the allegations as "the latest tactic in an aggressive campaign against Starbucks and our partners that is designed to damage the credibility and good name of the company" by a "very small number" of current and former employees.

The average restaurant in the city received 12 violation points from the city health inspectors.

Among the 201 Starbucks stores in the city, 51 stores received 12 or more violation points.

caffee-junkie

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
can you really call them baristas? all their doing is putting the pods in those big metal boxes. i wouldnt doubt that this is true, starbucks in the McDonalds of the coffee world. :roll:

kimbica

May 1, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
article

Hey Topher, thanks for the entertaining story! That actually put a grin on my face, as much as I "love" what Sbux has done for our market. (;

Is it common for coffeeshops to have multiple health code violations, or maybe just in NYC where the buildings are so old? I always have the impression that the Sbux stores in my city are clean and up to code to a greater extent than many independent stores. Maybe this is just a general perception that follows my expectation?

Kim

tobiasknight

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
HA, nice. I (unfortunatly) work for SB (as no other coffee houses are hiring or even able to stay afloat in my area) so it gives me a nice chuckle to see other people complain. Honestly it's an insult to call most of my co-workers "Barista". Especially those who have only worked on the fully automatic verisimo (Which always reminds me of the word "Verisilimitude", but in truth is more related to the latin word for "truth" (yes i know the root word of.. ah never mind))
ANYWAY as I was saying before I went on a tangent: 3 of the baristas at my location (including me) have held actual barista jobs at normal cafes prior to working at SB.
But yes, SB is the McD of coffee. Nasty over-roasted coffee that is.