Unic Diva (no crema) and Racilio Silvia advice, please

CiaoNY

Jan 7, 2007
SoHo, NYC
Visit site
My Unic Diva has pretty much stopped making crema a few months ago. The problem doesn't seem to be the grind and the pressure seems right. Can anyone out there help me with this?

Also, reading through the forum I see that Mrgnomer is pretty happy with his Rancilio Silvia. Does anyone else agree that, at its price point, this is a good choice for home espresso/cappucino making?

I'm a little put off by its small water reservoir.

I've been told by Illy (who now handles Unic in the US) that if I'm making less than 30-40 cups per day with the Diva I'm slowly killing the machine. I'm making 3 daily.

I may just take the Diva to my office where it may get a little more use.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
With the assumption that there has been no change in water quality, your extraction is taking between approximately 20-30 seconds, your extraction pressure is confirmed at between 9-10 bar and your coffee has been roasted within approximately 10 days, I'd check the temperature.

UNIC machines are generally preconfigured to extract at etremely low temperatures (about 192-195 deg F) that are best suited to Illy coffee - most coffees in America are best extacted at around 200 deg F; however, you should consult with your roaster on the best pressure and temperature combination for the specific variety of blend of coffee that you use.

You may wish to contact a technician for assistance with taking the temperature and making any adjustments - it can be a little tricky to get an accurate reading from hx machines.

Best,

Andrew

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
CiaoNY said:
I've been told by Illy (who now handles Unic in the US) that if I'm making less than 30-40 cups per day with the Diva I'm slowly killing the machine. I'm making 3 daily.

Sometimes I wish I could reach out and touch someone (Illy) with my phone.

The day you plugged your machine in is the day you started to slowly kill it. Most machines have an hourly or in some home machines daily cup limit. Most commercial 2 groups are rated at 200 - 240 drinks per hour. That doesn't mean you are going to kill it faster by only producing 3 per hour or 3 a day.

The same goes for your Diva. As long as you try to supply it with soft water and you perform the preventative maintenance it will run for a very long time.

I know several people who have machines that are considered over kill in their homes and offices. One has a Pavoni Pub M1 in his office and only he uses it. I know a few people who Cimbali’s M21 Junior for their home and at least one person who has a M29 Select 2 group in his home. I maintain them all and a few of them are over 6 years old.

Sorry for all the ranting, you have a good machine so don’t worry about killing it over 3 cups a day!

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
That's good advice. Did you change anything in your coffee or grinder or espresso machine? If not, it sounds most likely that the brewer either can not hit proper pressure or proper temperature.
Check for proper dose, tamp, grind, coffee freshness, brew pressure, brew temperature.
With any luck and some regular maintenance and perhaps an occasional worn part replacement, and a decent espresso machine will die a very slow death - over the course of 10-20 years or even longer. Some get rebuilt or reconditioned and keep running for 30 years or more whether commercial or home/office use.

CiaoNY

Jan 7, 2007
SoHo, NYC
Visit site
Thank you, everyone, for your help.
It seems that what has changed is the pump pressure while pulling a shot. It never quite gets high enough. Sometimes less than 6 bar.
I understand it needs to be 9 bar. Can anyone tell me how to raise the pressure? I'm told there is an adjustment screw on the pump outlet but I don't see it.

Thanks again.

Unic

Jan 15, 2007
Upstate NY
Visit site
Unic Diva

Hello:

I have a unic diva pro in my house. I too use it for only a few shots a day. I believe there is an adjustment screw for the pump that is exposed through the bottom panel. From when my machine was brand new (about 5 years old) it has consistently hit between 9-10 bars and has never needed an adjustment.

However, I’m concerned about what I just read in regards to the brew temperature being set for only illy coffee. That’s rather interesting. I now must check to see if I can raise the temp…

Hope this helps.