Using Travel Mugs/Reusing Cups...

ElPugDiablo

I guess I am in the minority camp. When someone brings in a dirty mug, I ask to have it so I can clean it for the customer. I use tons of ceramic cups in my shops, and they do get dirty, and they have to be washed. I don't see the difference between washing a travel mug and washing a ceramic cup. On top of that, customers really appreciate I offer to clean their mug.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
So, do you wash all your ceramic cups in a dishwasher or do you wash them by hand? (or do you have an employee do it for you?)

I guess if I could throw a person's mug into a dishwasher with the other things and then give it back to them the next day, it would be a different story.

Rose

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
PinkRose;38780... I feel like I should wash my hands again before serving the next person in line! When you think of all the ways tons of germs can be spread by reusing coffee cups said:
that being the case, make the coffee dispensary process such that you dont have to handle their cup. Simple. If we expect people to change their habits to be more earth friendly, then we as service providers also need to accommodate.

In some cases this may be a drastic change in coffee shop lay out, but some times we have to get out of the box to make a change.

I guess I am in the minority camp. When someone brings in a dirty mug, I ask to have it so I can clean it for the customer. I use tons of ceramic cups in my shops, and they do get dirty, and they have to be washed. I don't see the difference between washing a travel mug and washing a ceramic cup. On top of that, customers really appreciate I offer to clean their mug.
I am in agreement. I appreciate when someone at a counter offers to wash my cup for me.
I would then highly recommend that shop in the future.

Last edited: