Vietnamese Coffee

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
A friend of my mom's gave me some Vietnamese coffee her mother (who has a plantation in Vietnam) sent over.
The message I got with the coffee was to put a little Eagle Brand in before I drink it; any ideas why?

And any suggestions on preparation method of the coffee? I've got a glass percolater, a French press and a plain ol' coffee pot, as well as the espresso machine at the shop I work in.

o.s.f

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Vietnamese coffee tends to be very strong, and most people like to sweeten it with condense milk. Eagle Brand is the most popular brand of condense milk.

The way it usually prepared is 1" of consensed milk (or 5 table spoons) in a cup. Most people use a drip over the condensed milk. Press works equally well. Stir up the milk really well.

Get a cup of ice and pour the mix in. You'll like it. :grin:

brotherjoe

Jan 4, 2007
denton, texas
Visit site
hi neighbor. brother joe from denton, here.

do you have a vietnamese coffee filter (ca phe phin)? they sell them at most asian grocery stores. otherwise, i'd use a moka pot-- else you will not get the coffee taste you're looking for.

another word of caution: most coffee from Vietnam is rather poor quality robusta. no offense to you friend, and not saying this is the case with yours. it's a generous and kind gift. but if may affect the flavor too. of course, by way of comparison, buy an iced coffee (how it's typically served-- ca phe sua da) from a vietnamese restaurant and see how they do it.

that being said, it's one of my favorite methods. beats a frap hands down. :wink:

515barista

Oct 25, 2007
Visit site
I knew people that owned a Vietnemese restaurant and they told me their secret was to add different kind of beans. But really Vietnamese coffee is just coffee andadding condensed milk to it. The fastest way to make this drink is adding condensed milk to an americano...plus it''s still hot.