Watlow Controllers (on the abex YM-2 or Aftermarket install)

coughyroasting

Jun 26, 2009
Florida
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I just got my Ym-2 roaster yesterday ( a used 2007 with the digital gas controls) and am more than a little excited to say the least. I've got to run out and get a propane adapter for my tank and I'll be up and running (at least to test it). I also hadn't realised how many different functions the standard Watlow digital controller could perform on its own.

I've gone to the watlow website and downloaded the manual but it's all a bit technical for just starting out on the machine. Does anyone else have the Watlow SD series (PID, not limit) controller? I'd love some tips or instructions on how to use it for more advanced things than just turning the gas on and off, or reading the bean temp.

I'm extremely anxious to get started.

Thanks,

Andrew

IndCoffeeOfPA

Jul 17, 2009
Kennett Square, PA
Visit site
Andrew,
I just started up our Ambex YM10 roaster that I bought second hand. Like you I got the manual and was a little confused by all the techie stuff, but plowed through it and think I have an OK handle on it. It was not setup for thermocouple control when I got it, so I changed to that first thing (SeN = TC). Then I set the Control 1 (Ot 1 = PrAL), then you can set the alarms for the high and low side (in my case I set the High Alarm at 370 so I know to get ready for the fun). I set Control 2 to handle the Heat (Ot 2 = Heat), this will control the burner. Make sure you set Alarm Silencing for Ot1 to On, or the alarm will go off at 370 and you will not be able to turn it off, annoying to say the least (S.L1 = On). Most of the other functions I set to default. I am still confused about some of the settings, so don't take this as gospel. Disclaimer, I am in NO way an authority on the Watlow, so take this for what it is worth. Feel free to PM me next week and I will send you my phone number, I will be glad to scroll through the settings with you and see if we can get this thing going. My Watlow is the 1/32 SD model. BTW, it took me 5 hours of hunting and pecking to get this thing set. If you run across the default settings for Ambex machines I would sure love to see them.

Happy Roasting, Eric

Lumberjack

Oct 17, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
i wouldn't recommend changing the program in the watlow controller or try and get anymore performance out of it. the controller was programmed to be a simple on/off set point controller. the dial for the maxitrol digital proportioning valve is all the extra manual control you would need as far as controlling the flame. If you changed your settings you can call me and i can walk you through putting them back to factory.

727 804 8967
-Don

coughyroasting

Jun 26, 2009
Florida
Visit site
Apparently I'm not getting my automatic notifications in my email anymore. I thought I had set something to tell me when someone had responded. I lost hope in this thread a few months ago and hadn't been back online here in a while to check. I've got a shop that I'm opening up very shortly (as in about a week) in Sarasota, FL and have gotten into the specifics of the machine a lot more again. I'll be calling Ambex shortly to inquire about some roast profiling software (I think I just sent an information request last night via their website). I had been doing pretty well on my roasts, but I suppose I slacked a little lately and have been getting some mixed batches. It's time to get back to the basics of why I'm opening this store up in the first place.

Don, I guess I had thought the Watlow would have been a little more complex than just a on/off set point with all the options it seems to have but then again, after I had read the manual about a thousand times and after playing around with it I sort of just resigned to that fact. Is there a ramp/soak controller I could get as a direct replacement without major modifications? Would the maxitrol valve support scaling back the propane/gas by percentages? Are there any digital meters/inputs into the PID that would give a pressure reading of how much gas is flowing via the maxitrol? I have tons of questions and hoping to answer some tomorrow or Monday depending on if I can get some answers from a few companies I need to speak with about real time data logging (not specifically meant for the roasting industry, but good companies none the less.

sdcoffeeroaster

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So did you ever find out anything about the ramping version of the SD Watlow. I know there is one but I have not investigated if it will work for the YM-2. I just bought a 2009 YM-2 on ebay that was never hooked up. It's on it way and I should have it next week so it looks like my BBQ roasting days are limited.