We are considering starting a coffee house and need help

poeticdiabetic

Feb 23, 2006
Visit site
Ok. This is my issue:

I have been mandated by the powers-that-be to look into starting a coffee shop in the Cobb County area of Atlanta GA. I have quite a bit of experience in the business arena, but not in retail. This business will be ran out of a 501(c)3 non-profit, and will be utilized not only for coffee, but for arts and culture. Oh, and it will have programming that may contain an evangelistic thrust.

This has been a brain-child of mine for a while, but here's my problem: I know NOTHING about making coffee, outside of what I brew at home!

So, if you got the time, can someone answer the following:

1. Is it possible to learn how to make coffee drinks in lesson form? If so, where can I sign up for class?

2. Considering the large amounts of money it takes to buy the equipment to start a shop, is there somewhere that will consider leasing, or rental?

3. Is there an organization that provides assistance in putting together feasability statements to determine things like potential revenues per cup, startup costs, etc?

4. And lastly, how much money do you need to start a coffee shop?

JASMINES

Feb 23, 2006
Visit site
Hello!

I used to live in Smyrna (South Cobb dr) few years ago but I moved to Baton Rouge, LA and currently own and operatge a small coffee shop in one of the area malls. Before owning the shop, I knew nothing about coffee other than I like to drink it but I learned and learned fast. Location of the coffee shop is superior to any other factor and must be researched throroughly. Start up cost varies greatly and could be anything from $30,000 to $100,000+ depending on dozen of factors. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have regarding the startup and the operations of the shop.

Waleed Farah
Jasmine's Cafe'

poeticdiabetic

Feb 23, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, Waleed!

I've found a space for $2400 a month for 3200 Sq. Ft. They have two restrooms, but I would have to build a bar, seating, etc. I am also looking at leasing my equipment to reduce my start-up costs and provide a little tax break for Uncle Sam. My big question is personnel, but I think I have a handle on that, as well.

Provided that the real estate owner will give me $16k in buildout, and 90 days time to get started, do you think that is sufficient?

Mo Walker

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
You may also wish to consider attending the annual Specialty Coffee Association conference that will be held this April in Charlotte; representatives from every area of specialty coffee will be present and there are a number of outstanding education workshops.

http://www.scaa.org/conference/

The timing and location would seem to be ideal for your plans.

gazebocoffee

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I can identify with your new venture goals. I started in 1994 not knowing anything about coffee and not even a drinker of coffee. I visited as many coffee houses as I could, asked questions and developed my own style. I now operating my 13th and still don't drink coffee.