Were to buy my coffee tamper?

Citruski

May 6, 2013
Belgium
Visit site
Dear coffee lovers,

I just made my entry into the exciting world of espresso making. I bought a La Pavoni professional lever machine and got playing with it...
without much success thus far, and part of the reason is no doubt that La Pavoni ships it's beautiful machines with completely unsuitable plastic tampers.

So I'm looking to buy a nice tamper, preferably from a European seller, because of shipping costs and delivery times.
But my search turns out not to be that easy.

The coffee basket is app. 52mm internal diameter, so I'd need a tamper with a 51mm diameter. But most of the tampers for sale here are 53 or 58mm, and thus far I didn't find a 51mm tamper on offer.

Can someone point me to a manufacturer/seller in Europe that can readily ship a 51mm tamper to Belgium? I'd be very grateful.
And can someone tell me why nobody seems to offer a fairly complete range of tampers.
Ans why are some other diameters so easily available?
Maybe I should start a tamper manufacturing business and start selling them myself...

Of course I found the Reg Barber site, but I couldn't find a European seller that stocks a 51mm tamper from them (the 53 and 58mm on the other hand: plenty of possibilities)

best regards,
greetings from Belgium,

Citruski

Citruski

May 6, 2013
Belgium
Visit site
Aha, Ebay! Thank you! I just turned away from Ebay after a couple of bad experiences, but this seems to be a good link. I just ordered a tamper from this 'Coffee-services' seller on ebay.
Although they offer a wide range of tampers indeed, there are only 2 51mm tamper bases in their range. Is this such a rare diameter for baskets?

best regards and greetings from Belgium

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
You can have the Amco Coffee Tamper. But you can find made in Scotland that will fit a 51 mm tamper. This tamper is made by Knock Company. It is beautifully crafted in Europe.

Citruski

May 6, 2013
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks for all the good replies! As I mentioned, I found a 51mm tamper on Ebay from 'Coffee Services'. It's a nice one, and it suits me perfectly.
Making one myself crossed my mind as well, but I don't have easy access to a lathe...; I went for the easiest option and bought one.

best regards from Belgium!
Citruski