What do you think of serving pasta in a gourmet coffee bar?

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
I have an Amana ACE208, and it can cook ANYTHING in less than mins. I love it!!

Didn't mean to discourage you by saying you need a hood, the previous poster is correct, there is a variety of food you can heat and serve. I was just thinking of the whole boiling pasta situation...
~a

harpua

May 17, 2006
Visit site
I believe that if you should not spend time making or preparing food. I think you should take that time and either spend it doing the things you enjoy away from the shop or spend it developing more coffee business.

My largest profit margins are on espresso based drinks. In a perfect world all of my customers would come in and only drink espresso based drinks. Any money I spend on food equipment could have been spent better trying to get an espresso customer to come in everyday.

So, I would rather spend an hour a day trying to get a latte drinker than spend an hour a day preparing the food, storing the food, purchasing the food and hoping that when they buy that food, they also buy and espresso based drink. Then proceed to watch my margins fall while I work more hours at the shop.

Beside the fact that I have a coffee shop. Want coffee? come to me and I will make you the best coffee drink you can get. Want lunch? go to [insert in your local restaraunt that you have relationship with] and buy a latte for the trip.

What I call Grab-n-go food I will have on my counter but I do not spend time preparing or selling any food at all-waste of time and money.

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
short food menu

We have the most customers in the first part of the day. Usually people come in for a coffee, but they also get hungry and wish for a breakfast. We are offering them warm and cold sandwitches, prepared on the spot. They take only a few minutes and the customers are very happy. Our food menu is quite short, but takes care of the morning and noon hunger ;)

harpua

May 17, 2006
Visit site
Re: more..

Anajoeri said:
Harpua, what do you actually do to bring more espresso drinkers in?

Ahhh...this could be a long involved answer. Mainly I try to spend time getting to know (and involved) in the community. Instead of an hour a day preparing food I would rather spend it at community events, talking to other local business (about how to get thier employees and customers to my shop), Church. Just going where the people are and telling about my shop.