What is a Good place to buy full bags (150#) of coffee?

777funk

May 15, 2021
Visit site
What is a Good place to buy full bags (150#) of coffee? (Or 70# GrainPro/Box)

Does anyone have a good place to find a basic 17/18 Central or South American coffee in the sub $2 per lb range?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

777funk

May 15, 2021
Visit site
I am one who feels 3 year old green coffee is better than fresh off of the shelf store bought coffee. So old crop doesn't bother me any.

777funk

May 15, 2021
Visit site
The first option is better. If you are still in doubt, then consult with an experienced bartender.

So if I read you correctly, you're in agreement that settling for 3 year old green and roasting it yourself is (much) greater than Folgers off the shelf that was roasted and ground 3-6 months ago?

At least this has been my experience. I don't mind old coffee as long as it was roasted to my preferences within the past month (and stored correctly). I roast and keep the beans in sealed jars. It's good this way for a month or two. And for some reason it still tastes WAY better than anything from the grocery store.

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So if I read you correctly, you're in agreement that settling for 3 year old green and roasting it yourself is (much) greater than Folgers off the shelf that was roasted and ground 3-6 months ago?

At least this has been my experience. I don't mind old coffee as long as it was roasted to my preferences within the past month (and stored correctly). I roast and keep the beans in sealed jars. It's good this way for a month or two. And for some reason it still tastes WAY better than anything from the grocery store.

Roast and ground coffee such as Folger's is a very low bar in my opinion. I imagine it is still their practice to steam their coffee as the water weight added to the grounds increases their profit, but degrades the coffee. If your point is to save money, why not just experiment with a blend of good quality arabica and good quality robusta? I know the reputation robusta has, but there are some good ones out there. The best of the robustas can rival some lower to middle tier arabicas, but should outshine past crop arabicas. Just a thought.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Wish you were closer. I would sell you a bag. I can't ship it though. If you are out and about in South Florida(Delray Beach) I can sell you some of my Honduran Flor de cafe for a good price. I buy it by the container and get a pretty good price.

777funk

May 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts there! Sounds to me like a good time for a vacation to FL... lol. I will say, one of my favorite ocean states. Unfortunately haven't been there in a couple decades. Far too long!