What is Coffee Culture for you?

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
In the go go world that we live in it seems coffee culture is a time to stop for a while and enjoy a nice cup

it also seems that coffee culture brings conversation. Which can be a dying thing in 2006. We talk a lot but do we converse?

Coffee seems to bring people either around a bar, table etc and cause them to converse about their life stories.

Some of the happiest memories were at the coffee shop with a group of friends on an afternoon the friends have moved on the coffee shop has closed but there will be new friends and new coffee shops to experience

JM

Coffee culture in Indonesia is going through a rapid transition. On one hand most of the country has a traditional approach to coffee. In Indonesia coffee is traditionally a morning social drink. In this country the road side stall, or Warung, is the most likely place to find coffee beng sold and drunk. The coffee is nerly always robusta, ground very tine and mixed with hot water and sugar. This method is known as Kopi Tubruk. The coffee quickly sinks to the bottom of the glass. Regional differences do occur- in Morth Sumatra or Toraja, kopi tobruk is often Arabica, not Robusta. Even in the big cities coffee drunk this way still probably makes up close to 95-96% of consumption. The new cafe/coffee culture is mushrooming in cities like Jakarta, Bandung and Surabaya. In these places cafes and coffee chains, are opening rapidly. However most rely on their mixed beverages, rather than espresso based drinks to survive.

coffeetology girl

Jun 12, 2006
Manila
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys :)

Hope you can help me expand this topic as well.

Aside from your answers which are very valid, I also found out that coffee culture also pertains to the role of coffee in different societies or how coffee was/is used in different societies. For example...

1. Coffee was used as aid to prayer and meditation by the Arabia monks
2. Coffee was also used in African blood-brother ceremony in which "blood of the two pledging parties is mixed and put between the twin seeds of a coffee fruit. Each of the party will then swallow a coffee fruit.

Maybe you know of some of role of coffee in other cultures as well :)

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
The 1st election I believe was in an english coffee shop

The newspaper basically started because of cofeee. Each shop would have a different group of political types, say one left and one right. So people would go to each shop and record what was being said and print (dailys) therefore becoming the modern newspaper

I think of the southern tadition that involves coffee. There is a tendency for older men to gather with coffee. Here in my town it seems to be the local hardees. The town my uncle lives in which is in south georgia has 2 coffee shops they aren't really shops there are just 2 different groups of older men that gather in the morning to drink coffee. This town only has about 800 people in it. So its pretty small. But it seems that this is a common southern tradition.

JM

love8me

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
our coffee culture with my group of close friends is a time to share what's going on with our lives...we don't get to meet that often now so hanging out in coffee shops is the time to relax, have fun and sometimes listening to the dramas in our lives :grin:

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
JM,

I live in Valdosta, and the local "old codger" hangout is also a Hardee's! Why is that? In fact, you might believe you were in a coffee shop if you close your eyes and don't expect any coffee aroma!

Ellie

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
coffee culture

This is an interesting topic that was posted by coffeetology girl over a year ago, but surprisingly it's been left behind.
I'm anxious to learn more about coffee culture around the world.
For example, what's happening with internet cafes? Is this just an American thing?
One of my customers just informed me that she went to an internet cafe in Houston and everyone was preoccupied with their laptops & bluetooths (blueteeth?). They were in their own worlds.
Remember the Seinfeld episode - Jerry said "I don't keep real coffee in here, I get my coffee on the outside!"
I don't know about the rituals coffeetology girl spoke of, involving coffee, but am curious about the social gathering effect of coffee in general.

3ternal

Mar 22, 2007
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Don't need anything fancy, just my cup of black coffee and a book or a friend to talk to. The only thing that can stimulate more conversation out of me is a couple shots of vodka :)

Anne Marie

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
Interesting topic ... I just was musing about the social aspect of coffee in a little mini-book I made. The book started as just a fun little creative thing I wanted to do, but the more I started thinking about it, the more I realized how coffee was a major part of my upbringing. It seemed that from the time I was a baby, coffee was a part of every social gathering there was -- whether it was my mom having a cigarette and a cup of coffee talking gossip with her best friends, or a big Italian family dinner, or one of the many 60''s-era dinner parties my parents hosted for their friends. If I didn''t have these early, constant experiences with coffee, I can''t say that I''d be such a coffee drinker today. While I enjoy making and drinking coffee by myself, it far more enjoyable when shared with friends ... or for that matter, even with complete strangers in a coffee house or even in internet chat room/forums. I have a group of friends that I''ve never met irl, and we joke that our online get togethers are a 21st century version of the coffee klatches my mother used to attend in the 50''s and 60''s!

I have a great quote that I used in my little book from a Christian writer named Nicole Johnson ...

\"Coffee is an experience, an offer, a rite of passage, a good excuse to get together. When someone invites you to get coffee, it isn''t because they''re thirsty. It might be because they''re cold, but more likely it is becuase they want to spend time with you. Coffee makes a promise.\"

You''re welcome to visit my blog (in my profile) to see my little book. It''s nothing deep -- really pretty frivolous -- but it''s fun a nice little summary of the role of coffe in my life.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Wow Anne Marie, you're in the right place for coffee lovers.

I like how you compared your mom gossiping with her friends over coffee to this new age coffee forum (internet gathering coffee shop if you will). I think I go through more coffee while reading these posts than any other time of the day.

These are some fun and knowledgable members in this forum and I look forward to reading more of what you have to say in here. I will also check out your blog. I've actually used some of these members' quotes in my blog (with their permission first of course).

Welcome Anne Marie, from Massachusetts.

SactoMike

May 24, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
Coffee culture....

It's all about the people. Fond memories of playing chess at Java City in Downtown Sacto. Watching a good friend lose a chess match to a Dude who just got out after doing a stretch at Folsom Pen. It's about taking a break at Metro Espresso after getting out of class at Sac City College. It's about visiting relatives and going to the Campbell Coffee Company. Or taking a trip to the Stanford shopping mall and having the best House Blend ever at the Palo Alto Coffee Company. But again, it's about people and hanging with friends.

A former co-worker of mine has a kid who goes to UC Davis and he was just amazed about the local coffee shop there.....it was full of college age kids, but instead of interacting with one another, they were busy on their laptops. Oh well,...........