What is everyone doing on Feb 26th?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
We are staying open later. And, I am posting someone outside of the nearby Sbux with a sign stating since they are closed, we are open.

Is anyone else doing anything? I personally, am going to do my best to get some of the business as we have been harrassed by employees from the local Sbux. Its silly, but they have been in here harrassing us.

I'd love to hear any ideas.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Anne, sounds like a great idea. Good advertising too.

Is loitering not an issue in your state?
You could check with the local police to make sure it's okay to stand outside of their store. You might need a permit.

Funnily this news has been kept fairly much within the US. As far as I know the 61 Starbucks stores in INdonesia will be open- they still use the semis here not superautos. I cant see what good closing for 3 hours for "espresso training" will achieve in real terms. I guess it is H.S's marketing hat in play- trying to give an image that the company are commited to quality EBD's. However most customers would surely see this as meaning the coffee they have been drinkng for years from SB's has not been made properly- hence the need to close all 7500+ stores fr retraining. Coud really be more negatives in this exercise I think...the Specialty coffee market is far more knole than it was 2, 5 10 years ago

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
1am. Our GPS crap took the scenic route.

EPD: Yikes... I did pop the screens off today. They did come right off with a flathead screwdriver. When the gasket came off as well, I was worried, but a quick call to S.R. made everything better. Lane (who you met) had been cleaning them, but he's been out sick and they were cruddy. I don't know how loves the machine more--him or me. I'm also going to do a staff cleaning exercise and be more on top of how they maintain it. I also picked up the odds and ends you suggested. SO, thanks for that. (Hey, is that your pug in your avatar?)

Alun: I think it makes them look weaker rather than better. And, for those of us who have spent siginificant time training (and most will always strive to learn more) three hours is just not enough time. Not to insult them, but c'mon. Each store probably has 10-15 employees, so how much hands on experience can each have in 3 hours? Even if a store ad 5 employees, 3 hours is still not significant.

To be honest, I don't have anything against Sbux. To each his own--that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
So AJ...how did it go? Were there loads of people standing outside for you to give coupons to? I was watching the news and it made me chuckle when they showed a lady banging on the door saying all I want is a latte...hahahaha :twisted:

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I decided not to loiter at the local 'bux. Truthfully, I just didn't want the retaliation, and there's already a bit of tension--their people coming here and harrassing my employees and I don't want to make it worse. It hasn't been very pleasant. None of us have set foot in their store but they like to come here. I can't help but wonder what Howard Shultz would think. If it were me, I would be mortified if my employees acted as they have. I can't wait to see what they do when Bad Ass opens about a mile away from them.

Anyway, we statyed open until 8pm and had a nice after dinner group. We may stay open later as regular business practice. On my way home, I drove by the local bux and the employees were rearranging furniture at 8:25. I guess they had learned everything they needed to know about at that point. :roll: For us, it was six looong days (probably 12-14 hour days) with our consultant constantly working on our steaming, shots, adjusting, etc, and of course, we're still learning. If they got everything in 2 hours, God bless 'em.