What is the secret to good Frapp?

tlhamzy

May 30, 2004
Visit site
I have been trying to duplicate Starbuck's frappiccino recipe, and just can't seem to get it. Does anybody know if they use a Toddy maker to make that wonderful base they use in their Frapps? Milk and syrup and an espresso shot is GROSS, yucko, I won't serve that, I want something that has some zing.

Any suggestions? Does anybody know what's in that base they pull out of the fridge? I've asked, but they don't tell the employees what's in it! SMART.

Thanks

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
Are you trying to do them from scratch? Or are you using a mix?
You need some sort of thickener in them, otherwise the coffee, milk and ice will separate out.
Try carageenan - that is what is in a lot of powdered drink mixes.

tlhamzy

May 30, 2004
Visit site
trying from scratch

Thanks Lori, I've tried Cafe De Amore, Big Train, and Mocafe. Mocafe seems to have the least amount of chemicals in the ingredients and I think tastes the best. However, they just don't beat Starbucks' Frappaccinos. Hmm, I think it's a toddy mix in there, but can't be sure till I try it....it has the taste of a coffee nip candy....

thanks for your help!
Troy :)

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
I saw a recipe somewhere not too long ago - you might want to do a search on this website - it used toddy, but also included pectin to hold everything together. I have tried making a frappacino at home using a toddy, and it was not good...the toddy and the milk separated. I just haven't had the time to try using the pectin. Let me know if you have any success. :)

Taye

Oct 16, 2004
Paw Paw, Michigan
Visit site
Yep! Ghirardelli is it!!

We just opened our coffee house and we tried Big Train, and a few others. We ran across Ghirardelli Frappe Powder and it is EXCELLENT!! We've had customer after customer comment how it is better than Gloria Jeans!!
GO WITH GHIRARDELLI!! You won't be sorry! :p

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
I've tweaked the recipe that's provided in the above link to the Topsecretrecipes web site. rather than mix it on the spot, I make a base by dissolving the sugar in the extra strength coffee while it's still hot. Adding a bit of espresso to the extra strong coffee mix also helps but I agree that making the base with straight espresso does not seem to deliver the same results.

Fr my taste, a bit less sugar than they call for makes for a better drink but an even bigger improvement (albeit at a cost) is to make ice cubes formt he base mixture before the milk is added. Then blend your drinks using half regular cubes and half coffee cubes mixed with the milk and base liquid.

Carageenan will help avoid the separation issue so typical with most blended drinks. Starbucks Frappucino's (still the gold standard in blended drinks for me despite being too sweet)suffer froma bit of separation in the standard drink but it's a much bigger probelm in their new "light" version.

You MUST get the right type of carageenan. It's the one intended for use in cold food products - there are many different types and only one works well. Also - use it very sparingly or you'll get a really fluffy drink that's not dense enough.

I had terrible luck with pectin but may have been using it incorrectly.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
Mocafe & Cappucine

While I agree mocafe wild tribe mocha is not equal to a starbucks frap there are many of our customers who think its better...its just a cost problem for me running the cost up to $1.5 a drink easy (cup and all).

Cappucine's white symphany is probably on par with starbucks....and they have dark but again due to their cost I don't try it....my white mocha 24 ounce with cappucine has a cost on it of $1.75 - YIKES....

jerry

Nov 18, 2004
TX
Visit site
Hi' I have tried all that has been mentioned above. I found Cool Capp's strawberry frappes to be as good if not better than Starbucks and feel the price point would be better than others. Might want to check them out, product and pricing, they are very nice and will send out samples next day. Been taste testing for the last month, opening first store this summer.
P.S. feel like I gained about 5 pounds but sure was good.

Jerry in Texas

FLfrappe

Apr 19, 2005
FL
Visit site
Mixes

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here...sometimes even with a mix, the frappe tastes "chalky" I think it is something to do with the coffee...

Another question, where do I find a simple coffee mix, not white choco. or choco, or fruit flavored or anything like that...

Thanks

California-Coffee

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I beleive they use a powder mix from talking to a store manager. This is what we came up with to match.

2 cups Non dairy creamer
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup good powered chocolate

Mix together

Drink preperation
Add two squirts of Torani chocolate sauce.
Add two scoops of your powder mix
Add 1 cup ice
Add your espresso shot or cold processed coffee

Blend and top it as you like

upnorthcoffee

Mar 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Ghirardelli's Frappe powder mix is quite popular as was mentioned here. Comes in a nice 10 lb box.

Others you could consider are JetTea(lots of berry flavors), JetCafe (coffee based) mix. Pour over ice and blend = EASY!

Anyone got comments on Caffioco? That's easy but too sweet for me.

coffee_beanz

May 6, 2005
Souther U.S.A.
Visit site
California-Coffee said:
I beleive they use a powder mix from talking to a store manager. This is what we came up with to match.

2 cups Non dairy creamer
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup good powered chocolate

Mix together

Drink preperation
Add two squirts of Torani chocolate sauce.
Add two scoops of your powder mix
Add 1 cup ice
Add your espresso shot or cold processed coffee

Blend and top it as you like

Cool - how much would you guess is a "scoop" of powder mix?

I've seen recipes that call for pudding mix or gelatin (like Certa) - might not hurt to add a little of that to this formula.