What is your favorite rare/exotic coffee/bean?

dooleymoe

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I am considering starting a small local specialty biz aimed at executive gifts/coffee lovers. I''d like to offer hard to find/exotic/rare coffees that these people would not have heard of or would have had trouble finding.

What would be your suggestions for types to look in to? My first instinct is to look into green beans, but I may consider roasted depending on how fast the product moves.

Thanks for the input!

NOT Kopi Luwak, although I know there are maybe a few people who would disagree with me. I can only speak from an Indonesian origin view point- but there are literally 100's of sub origins here that fall outside the standard "Aceh-Mandehling-Lintong-Estate Java-Toraja" string. I would suggest Papua Arabica (at least 3 well defined origins), Flores (again at least 3 sub origins), maybe a Bali Kintamani (although I was not too impressed with the last samples I cupped).

dooleymoe

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
The preference I'm getting is that unless they plan to consume with 1-2 weeks, green coffee would be the way to go. Whats the general opinion hear? Of course I would offer several options on roasting, equipment for sale, etc, but I''m not sure If I'd be limiting my customer base too much.

Dooley[/u]

Galapagos coffee sounds interesting. I read the "Black Gold" story about coffee grown on St Helena. It was a variable piece of writing (I picked up around 40 coffee factual errors in the first half of the book), but all in all a fascinating story on how and why coffee ended up being grown on a tiny island in the middle of literally nowhere. I have not had the opportunity to cup St Helena (or Galapagos)...but guess they should be added to your list

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
I''ve cupped Galapagos and it was great. Reminded me of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe- Light/medium body, sweet and floral. It works as a single origin espresso too. I don''t know how much coffee you anticipate going through but you will probably need to contact some importers like Atlas or InterAmerican and ask them for an offering sheet. From there you can get some samples to cup, if you have a valid tax id number.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
If I ever get my butt over to Ecuador, I'll have to give Galapagos a visit too. I hear it's very touristy nowadays. I hope coffees from there aren't just geared for tourism. Flashy lights but void of substance?

Regarding Kopi Luwak, I just saw a Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman film called The Bucket List. It was pretty boring. Jack's character had an affinity for Kopi Luwak and was almost disappointed to find out where and how the coffee is processed. I don't think I'd ever want to try it.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
caffe biscotto said:
Regarding Kopi Luwak, I just saw a Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman film called The Bucket List. It was pretty boring. Jack's character had an affinity for Kopi Luwak and was almost disappointed to find out where and how the coffee is processed. I don't think I'd ever want to try it.

I found it pretty unbelievable that he had never heard the stories about his favorite coffee. Even non coffee drinkers have heard of the stuff!

New Avatar for Biscotto

Well Mr. Biscotto. You've a new Avatar on the forums. I've been running like a headless chicken of late, and haven't had a chance to dabble here.

Imagine my delight in seeing your new smiley face coffee pour. Well done.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D back atchya!

Mako