What is your own golden ratio

Scotto

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
Different people/places say different ratios for the golden ratio. Everyone has their own preference. It can even be worth changing up your ratio depending on your brew method. You can't escape that with espresso.

For pour over, I think 1:15 is perfect for me. 1 gram of coffee per gram of water.

What is your own perfect coffee to water ratio?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Different people/places say different ratios for the golden ratio. Everyone has their own preference. It can even be worth changing up your ratio depending on your brew method. You can't escape that with espresso.

For pour over, I think 1:15 is perfect for me. 1 gram of coffee per gram of water.

FYI... an oz of water is 30g. I prefer a 1:17 ratio for my Hario's which is 25g of coffee / 425g of water

I use 24gm coffee with 430gm water.
This would be slightly weaker than Musicphan's ratio except for the fact that I don't actually do pourover.
I was using my trusty Bonavita Full Immersion Dripper (4 minutes brewing time) for the last 8 years until the other day when I dropped it.:x
Bonavita is no longer selling this equipment :x so I have reverted to a Smart Dripper - similar equipment to the Bonavita but a plastic device.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site

Honestly think people get too caught up with ratios as there are lots of changing variables, especially with espresso. Can't tell you how often I read posts from those that are fed up with trying to obtain ___ in seconds with ___ ratio. They should be dialing in by taste/texture and go from there. Numbers don't guarantee anything except consistency, whether it's great or terrible. Over the years I've always dialed everything in by taste/texture (home and commercial) and only weigh my dry doses. Have relied on my sense of taste, smell and sight to get the expected end result and it doesn't let me down. I take the same approach to roasting as I control every step of the process on the fly manually.

I have weighed/timed my extractions a handful of times out of tens of thousands just out of curiosity. If you want to call it my 'golden ratio' (although every coffee/roast level is different) I use around 19.3 grams ground rather fine, tamp light, have pump pressure regulated around 8 bars and don't see the first drop until 15+ seconds and the total extraction time averages 50+ seconds with a yield around 1 oz/29 grams. Of course that'd likely be quite intense for many enthusiasts, but having been at this a long time it's what it takes to work for me. Anything less is weak, thin and unbalanced.

sloperaly

Dec 1, 2020
Visit site
My pourover is 20 gm:350 water
the espresso- I have a Lelit Bianca that lets you play around a little: 20gm 4sec preinfusion, restarts at 14 seconds first drips and finishes around 44-48 seconds with around 30-35 gm yield

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I've always liked my coffee a little strong, and I also like to find ways to remember things (mnemonics)...so I stick with "Sweet 16", but adjust with roast...a tad more water added for darker roasts which might have a more developed (not charred) profile.

Ron199

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
French Press. 27 grams coarse ground coffee. 505 grams filtered water yields me 15 ounces of the perfect brew. BTW: I drink nothing but dark roasted coffee.