WHAT KIND OF MUSIC TO PLAY IN A COFFEE SHOP?

natalielight

Aug 30, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
what theme are you planning to make your shop? I wouldn't go with anything loud or with cuss words... which is an obvious answer. I'd go with some type of soft classical from any era or part of the world, just depending on what the theme is. Even if you don't go with classical I'd do something that is soft and not hard on the ears. If you want people to linger longer, slower music, if you want people in and out and to feel in a rush, faster music.

Coffee_Boy

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
re:music

On the same topic. What is everyone doing for a music system?
I saw the other day a place where they had their iPOD hooked up to 4 speakers....must be a cheap way to do it...and the sound was good?

Is there issues using "free" downloaded music?

CuriousG

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
A couple ideas for you

A friend gave me a CD of a contemporary jazz group named Lance Koonah Innerworkings. I played it one morning and it actually went great with my first cup of coffee. The website my friend got it from is called www.cdbaby.com. It's worth checking out!

beefybean

Sep 20, 2005
Austin, TX therabouts
Visit site
Good questions on the music. If you download, you can run a cable from your PC headphone output to your stereo component input. iPod has cool factor, but expense and you lose your buddy during business hours. PC is likely already there and waiting for a multitasking assignment.

As for royalties, I am wondering about that as well. I know that there are commercial music services. Yahoo and Napster offer music, but can it be played in a commercial environment? Somehow I feel like it can, as many establishments play broadcast radio.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Do yourself a favor... utilize a professional music service which covers your music licensing. If you choose to play music on your ipod you will need to pay the appropriate BMI & ASCAP licensing fees. I enjoy the programming on Sirius XM. You can sign up for a 30 day trial (via internet) to license to their programming. They have a couple of stations that may work for the mood your trying to establish.

SiriusXM Music for Business - SiriusXM Radio

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Stepping out of the WABAC time machine, Mr. Peaberry is amazed at how different the music landscape has changed in 11 years. Cafe d'Bolla was only 1 year old when the thread was started.