What makes coffee less bitter the day after?

Maui Phil

Feb 21, 2006
Visit site
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum. I want to find out if someone can enlighten me on why coffee is less bitter and actually smoother to drink the day after it's brewed. The longer it sits in the airpot, the easier it is to drink. I can actually taste some chocolate overtones from it. Are these characteristics of stale coffee? If so, it works for me.

thanks.

freshroast

Feb 7, 2006
Gig Harbor, WA
Visit site
I find tody brew great for cold ices or blended drinks. Coffee will tend to get bitter and loose some of boldness and flavor just after a few hours of sitting I find - sometimes you can go longer like 3 hours but not much more than there before dumping and brewing a fresh pot of coffee. :) :)

freshroast

Feb 7, 2006
Gig Harbor, WA
Visit site
Toddy's exclusive cold-water brewing process extracts the natural, delicious flavors of coffee and tea yet leaves behind undesirable bitter acids and oils. The result: A bold, super-smooth taste that's easier on the stomach. Toddy can be made one cup at a time - served steaming hot or iced cold, and at the strength you prefer.

freshroast

Feb 7, 2006
Gig Harbor, WA
Visit site
Another way of describing Toddy:
"(The Toddy) is the ultimate coffee maker." In 1964, as a chemical engineering graduate of Cornell, Todd Simpson developed and patented a cold brew system that, using regular Arabica coffee beans, creates a superior-tasting cup of steaming HOT coffee. And, with 67% LESS ACID than coffee made by conventional hot brew methods, it's easier on sensitive stomachs. According to The Saturday Evening Post, "Cold brewed coffee is a welcome alternative for the millions of coffee lovers who are acid sensitive or suffer from gastroesophageal reflux disease." The Toddy brewer produces a low acid, coffee concentrate. Just add water for a distinctively bold, super smooth taste that has delighted connoisseurs for some 40 years. And, refrigerated, there's no waste Toddy can be made one cup at a time.

freshroast

Feb 7, 2006
Gig Harbor, WA
Visit site
Some Toddy Recipes:
Recipes

Toddy Cappuccino
1) Steam 3 ounces of espresso concentrate (Toddy brew) in a stainless pitcher until 185º
2) Pour espresso (steamed concentrate) into your cappuccino cup
3) Froth 6 ounces of 2% milk (160º) and quickly spoon foam on top of espresso, add remaining steamed milk for a "wet" cappuccino
4) Sprinkle with cinnamon, chocolate or nutmeg

If you don't have a steamer you can heat in the microwave! Be careful not to boil!

Toddy Latté
1) Steam 8 ounces of 2% milk (160º) in a stainless pitcher
2) Pour steamed milk into your cappuccino cup
3) Steam 3 ounces of espresso concentrate (Toddy brew) in stainless pitcher until 185º
4) Pour steamed espresso in the middle of the steamed milk. Pour so that there is a little dot of espresso in the middle of the steamed milk. Sprinkle with cinnamon, chocolate or nutmeg

Toddy Mocha
1) Mix 1 ounce Ghiradelli's chocolate and 3 ounces of espresso concentrate (Toddy brew) and steam until 185º.
2) Pour espresso and Ghiradelli (steamed concentrate) into your cappuccino cup
3) Froth 6 ounces of 2% milk (185) and quickly dump on top of espresso
Just like at The Coffee Grinder…throw on some whipped cream and sprinkle some chocolate powder or drizzle chocolate syrup on top!

Iced Vanilla Toddy Cappuccino
1) Mix 2 ounces coffee concentrate with 6 ounces 2% milk
2) Add 3/4oz. Vanilla* Torani syrup
3) Pour over ice and add sweetener to your liking*
You can enjoy ANY Torani syrup flavor…try Tira Misu, Almond Roca or Hazelnut! Ooohhh!

Toddy Frappé
1) In a blender, add ½ cup toddy concentrate, and ½ cup 2% milk
2) Then add 1/2 cup of ice, and 3 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
3) Blend until smooth and pour into glass
4) Top with whip cream and chocolate shaving.
Note: You can substitute whole milk, non-fat milk, soy milk or rice milk to any recipe!

FrothGadget

Feb 16, 2006
Visit site
Rule of Thumb

Rule of Thumb ------ Put one teaspoon of sugar in the coffee for every two hours since it was brewed and you will not taste the bitterness. it works every time.