What to charge

stewartlittle

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
At work Im in charge of the coffee,dont have to be but I've been doin it for a long time.
As far as I can remember it has been 10 cents a cup.Since I'v been doin for about 10-12 years,its still 10 cents.Up untill this past summer I only bought coffee and if others wanted cream and sugar,they brought it.
Now I buy the cream and sugar also and still charge 10 cents a cup(which is about 1 1/2 - 2 cup on pot) and coffe keeps goin up.
I took up $11 from the last can,and we go through 4 lbs. of sugar and a can of creamer per can of coffee.$6.29+$2.50+$1.65+tax=$10.86.
Plus my gas and time to go get the stuff,waiting in line.I need more money to compensate for the trouble.
I thought of 10 cents for black coffee,add 5 cents each for cream and sugar.But a few say"Thats Too Much".I say "go to Star Bucks and see what they charge"
How would some of you charge?

demetri

Jul 18, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
When I worked in a large office we too turns buying the coffee. This way everyone gets an idea for what is involved. If people are complaining about the cost then they can do it or not drink it.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Many progressive companies pay for the coffee service as a "perk" for employees and clients. This sounds like a relatively inexpensive way for your company to boost morale in a small but daily way. Most employers also find that subsidized in-house coffee keeps employees on-site (versus a trip to *$ or cafe) and working for a greater percentage of their day. Some companies even "splurge" on one-cup brewers and espresso machines.
If you end up sticking with honor system fundraising, try $0.25/cup or $1.00 per week each drinker (no matter the # of cups). Either option is way cheaper than a restaurant cup of joe, and if you have a surplus of cash, you could donate it to the office party or buy lottery tickets for the coffee pool.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
lord

you use 4lbs of sugar/can of coffee?
give then coke syrup.

How many people are we talking about. Maybe we can come up with some other options.

Are there other tasks which are done by other employees at their expense?

Easy answer is the sugar and creamer can be bought in bulk and the cost can be divided between the employees right then. Coffee goes bad quick but I'm assuming you do go shopping for yourself every once in a while...
I definately would not charge two different prices. Just seems like it would lead to problems.

stewartlittle

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
OK,I talkin of only 6 people in the shop that drink coffee,some only get a cup once a day or maybe every other day.So I dont think it would be right to chage them per the same as someone like myself or the others that drink 4-6 mugs(1 1/2 - 2 cups)a day.

Yes,about 4lbs. of sugar per can.I drink it black 95% of the time,and one guy always black.
2-black
2-sugar
2-cream and sugar
1-cream and xtra sugar,but gets maybe 2 cups a week.
$1 a week still would'nt pay for it.
I get my stuff at Sams Club.Coffee use to like $4.60 for 39oz.Now it in 48oz can.Three weeks ago it was $5.88,then jumped to $5.99,now it $6.26.Cream is right at $5 for 2 34oz cans.I get the sugar from Dollar General for $1.65 a 4lbs bag.
We are talkin right around $10-$11 of cost per can of coffee.A can last for about 9-10 days right now in winter.