What Water should I use?

Hildy

Jan 15, 2020
New Jersey
Visit site
Hey everyone, first post here. So I'm a fairly avid coffee drinker, I use an espresso machine, french press, and pour-over all regularly. One thing I've been really lazy on doing to up my coffee game is using good water. I've been using tap for the last few years (please don't crucify me). So I am wondering how much of a difference good water makes with brewing and what you guys would suggest, whether its filtered Brita water or store bought distilled water. Let me know what you guys think. I've been lurking this forum for a while so it's nice to finally post something.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Welcome. I too was using primarily tap water for my french press and moka pot coffee. And the results were ok but nothing stupendous. Then I realized I have a water filter inside my refrigerator. I had been filling the tea kettle from the tap because it was easier. Now I'm filling a pitcher from the frig and pouring it into the kettle. And I definitely notice the difference in the cup. If you don't have a refrigerator water filter, I'd say a brita would probably be better depending upon where you are located. It's certainly a cheap option.

mreeveshp

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
I second using the refrigerator water filter if you have one. Mine tells me when it's time to be replaced which is anytime now and when I replace it I have to flush 3 gallons through it. They aren't cheap to keep replacing but last a good while and do make a difference in the taste.

mreeveshp

Hildy

Jan 15, 2020
New Jersey
Visit site
Thanks, I have a gooseneck kettle that I use for almost everything coffee related since its electric and can heat up right to 205ºF so I'll have to try a Brita filter and pour it into that since I don't have a fridge with filtered water.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hildy - there are two factors in water quality 1) Taste 2) Impact on your equipment. Always filter your water at a minimum with a standard carbon filter (like in your Brita)... it will at least reduce some of the mineral content which will cause scale in your equipment. If your machine is plumbed there are several nice inline water filters which are very reasonable. Regarding taste, honestly, I have tried all types of water, tap, distilled (not recommended - nasty with minerals), spring, filtered, 3rd wave... you name it. Honestly, they all taste similar but different. The more concentrated (I.E. espresso) the more I could taste differences. As a general rule, I always recommend at least the carbon filter, beyond that its how much time/effort you want to spend.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hildy - there are two factors in water quality 1) Taste 2) Impact on your equipment. Always filter your water at a minimum with a standard carbon filter (like in your Brita)... it will at least reduce some of the mineral content which will cause scale in your equipment. If your machine is plumbed there are several nice inline water filters which are very reasonable. Regarding taste, honestly, I have tried all types of water, tap, distilled (not recommended - nasty with minerals), spring, filtered, 3rd wave... you name it. Honestly, they all taste similar but different. The more concentrated (I.E. espresso) the more I could taste differences. As a general rule, I always recommend at least the carbon filter, beyond that its how much time/effort you want to spend.

I'm not sure what you meant when you wrote "distilled (not recommended - nasty with minerals)" Are you saying that distilled water has minerals in it, or are you saying that the lack of minerals in distilled water creates a problem when making coffee? I always thought that distilled water has no minerals, and that's why it's recommended for humidifiers, vaporizers, clothes irons, steamers, etc. Now, I'm wondering.....

~ Rose

Hildy

Jan 15, 2020
New Jersey
Visit site
I’ve also read that distilled water, since it has no minerals, is a strong solvent and can in some cases corrode equipment, I could be wrong though. Ive seen products from a company called BWT that makes a range of products for water treatment for coffee machines, maybe I'll look into that.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
When I was experimenting with the Third Wave packets I did brew a couple batches with distilled water on it's own just to try and establish some kind of base line for testing. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between the distilled and the distilled with the packets, both seemed rather bland to me like drinking a weak tea. I suppose this has a lot to do with what a guy is use to. I don't think our city water is all that bad, if it weren't for the chlorine I could probably live with out filtering it.

709espresso

I use a Brondell filter system, attached to my bar tap. This is the one - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00O3M2ZC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I don't have anything to compare it with really, since I've always used it, since I had an espresso machine. Drinking the water straight - doesn't taste as good as bottled spring water, in fact, I'm not sure its even as good as Brita filtered water, but it does work - it doesn't taint the coffee taste, and prevents scale build up. The filters are kind of expensive, but you can bypass the filter when not using as drinking water, so they last a long time.

cws.tarun

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
Excessive salt in water can cause scum to form on coffee. I use a reverse osmosis system now and the change is noticeable. My coffee tastes better as it also removes chlorine and excessive hardness from water. You can definitely start with a water filter such as Brita but in my opinion it won't come anywhere close to an RO system.

Rustlen

Dec 9, 2020
Cwmbran
Visit site
The Brondell filter system is actually really great. I have been using it for a while, and I am really pleased with it. It is really good, however it is kind of way too expensive, at least that is my own opinion. You could actually get another really great water filter which is not worse, not at all. Per example, the Waterdrop 10UA which is really affordable, and I do consider it the best from the point of view of the price per quality ratio. I have bought one, and it is really amazing. I got it due to the recommendations from https://kylesgarage.com/water-filters/ .They got a lot of great reviews for a lot of water filters.

Last edited: