what's a good personal roaster.

blackjava

Nov 5, 2005
Canada
Visit site
What would you recommend as a good roaster that would roast in minimum 1/2 pound batches for personal use?

Does any one honestly believe you can get good roast coffee from a microwave? How about a pop corn popper?

My opinion is get :http://www.diedrichroasters.com/sample.html

The for mentioned in other posts is not my first choice. Although probably less $$ I didn't like the way the YM-2's drum dump handle was balanced to make it easy to slam the " door" on the drums axle protrusion. ( I checked it out at coffee fest) I have to admit that maybe you are more gentle while getting the bean out of the drum, but I like to dump the bean ASAP! This is only my opinion and feedback.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
too each their own...I like that the ambex is easy to clean...and maintain...that I can roast down to 3 oz. on a 2 kilo roaster...control of the roast is great....buy what you want....but I would go with the Ambex.

Terry from AMBEX is real nice and a VET, I'm a Vet too, to each thier own is a good way to put it. I told both AMBEX and Diedrich that I thought Geography had alot to do with the sales of thier product. Price is another, and I wouldn't complain if anyone bought from either. I expect that opionions are derived form experiance...and since I've never roasted with a Ambex I really can't say anything about the roasting.....just the initial impression. Hell, how can I not like AMBEX? THEY Provided the beer at coffeefest :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I haven't used a Diedrich in about 13 years...I will say this...The Ambex is much more user friendly that the Probat I used a couple of years ago! We just bought a 120 kilo, 10 kilo and 2 kilo from Toper....oh well roaster is calling.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I have three different roasters, and I'd pick Ambex. But we're off topic here...for home roasting I'd steer clear of popcorn poppers and trying to roast in a microwave oven. That just won't do.

The best of the home roasters typically does enough for one pot of coffee (I-roast or Zach & Dani, for example). Consider alternatives...

You might look at the spit-mounted roaster attachment for your backyard grill. It's a drum roaster of sorts and uses the heat from a gas grill. The only problem I see with that is when your Kenya tastes like beef or chicken - be sure to use a clean grill. If you're that dedicated to home roasting, dedicate a gas grill to the task and never use it for burgers & dogs.

Or, you could go with one of the modified "set it & forget it" ovens. I've seen them on eBay. AeroRoast, Micro TostaCaffe, and JavaPro-CRC are in that class. Expect to pay a few hundred.

I have not tried these products and do not endorse them. I can only tell you what some of my customers have tried, most end up buying my roasted coffee in the end. (Hey, I have great coffee, can't blame them!)

By the way, none of these would work as a "get rich quick" to start a coffee shop. These are only good for home entertainment and the quality of the end product is not what you'd call professional. But it's fun and you learn a lot about coffee.

-"BG"

blackjava

Nov 5, 2005
Canada
Visit site
This is one I've been looking at
Swissmar ALPENRöST Home Coffee Roaster – 220 volts at $400

15 different roast settings
Roasts from 2 to 8 ounces of beans at one time

Does any one know this brand?

Some thing I don't understand is why you can pay $500 to $600 for a small
home roaster and the next price range is commercial from $6000 and up.
Does no one make something in between?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
not sure if that is the same roaster that I saw at a show...call and make sure you do not need to replace a filter often....cuz if its the one I saw you had to change a filter every 5 batches or so...the filters where around $20 american...and they are the only company to sell this filter...like I said don't quote me on that but it is worth looking into.

blackjava

Nov 5, 2005
Canada
Visit site
Thanks for that info.
I looked at their specifications and there is no mention of a filter. These
are all they say need to be maintained.

Take off all four (4) removable parts:

Drum
Bean Cup
Chaff Tray
Multidirectional Vent

So pardoning my ignorance, where would the filter be?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
sorry it was actually HotTop Electric Drum Coffee Roasters...they have a filter that needs to be changed every 20 batches...so it wasn't alpen...i have seen them at shows....even though I am not a big hot air roaster fan this is a cool little toy! :wink: I am going wait and put a 2 kilo or if I can find an old Jabez burns sample roaster at a good price....oh well keep us informed if you decide to pick up the alpen....

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
One more thing to research -- there have been some posts on the Internet about the tendency for the AlpenRoast to catch on fire. I'm not sure if is a problem with chaff collection or something else. Nevertheless, I'd encourage you to look into that.

-BG

MichaelZ

Jan 5, 2007
Visit site
Personal Coffee Roaster

:D
I first purchased the SwissMar Alpenroast when I decided to try coffee roasting at home. I was never able to get the Alpenroast to get a batch of beans to first crack regardless of the setting. Before returning it I sent them an e-mail but never received a reply, so back it went. I have since purchased a iRoast II and have been nothing but impressed at the quality of coffee it has produced. It can roast about 150 grams of bean which lasts from 2 - 4 pots of coffee depending on how bold a taste I want. It is also completely programmable allowing custom roasting profiles which are not lost when you unplug the roaster. I prefer the slightly lower initial temperature which produces a very nice roast regardless of whether I am roasting light, medium or dark beans.

My next purchase will most likely be a Hottop drum roaster, but that probably say's more about my purchasing habits rather than anything negative about the iRoast II. I love the machine.