What's your Coffee Routine

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
Coffee People:
I thought it would be interesting to learn what different coffee lover's daily coffee-related routines are:
I'll start with ours, morning we start the day after our typical breakfast of a smoothie, with a seven-ounce cup of most often Peruvian beans roasted 50% full city 50% full city + (mine black my wife with vanilla creamer). On weekends occasionally the same beans are in a Latte.
In the evening after dinner, Costa Rican Decaf beans roasted 50% full city 50% full city + in either a Cappucino, latte Macchiato or Latte.
We experiment with different beans or roasts most recently Costa Rican Regular in the morning which will require a different roast next time.
Coffee out occasionally to try new beans.
CupaGil

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
In fact, drinking coffee is a whole philosophy for me, I drink it in the morning with music, at lunch while working, and in the evening while walking.I like it so much!:)
Connor:
Welcome to this forum. It's great that you enjoy your coffee so much. When I posted this question I assumed that most people have a routine, from the response or lack there of I learned that most people don't or just don't care. I discovered "real coffee" late in life and am getting a great amount of joy from not only consuming but roasting my own beans. I'm happiest when I'm learning and in addition to enjoying the tasting, learning to roast great coffee is fun as well. My routine is morning coffee non-decaffeinated medium dark roast, sometimes an early afternoon light roast with lots of fruity and floral flavors, and after dinner a milk coffee decaf. (darker roast ) cappuccino, macchiato, lattee, etc. Since I roast we do a lot of tasting samples from the latest batch which happens periodically. This is part of learning about different coffees from around the world which is also fun. It sounds to me like you have made coffee an integral part of your lifestyle, which if one of your goals is to enjoy life makes sense to me.
Cupagil

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Typical normal day:

12 oz cup of coffee, with half and half, first thing every morning. Before I do anything. Usually a pour over. I make very consistent very delicious pour overs, even while still fighting back the sleepies. I use about 50 g of coffee against 30 oz of water. I switch between Guatemalan and Ethiopian coffees these days, and occasionally other coffees. Medium to light roasts mostly. (If I brew a dark roast I grind a little coarser and use a little more coffee per water.)

Sip coffee all day, refill the mug as needed.

A little after mid day I have finished the pot, and make another pot of coffee (pour over, 50 g coffee 30 oz water) which lasts the rest of the day.

I may have to make more coffee after the second pot is finished. Not always, but when I do, I do with single mug pour overs, (20 g of coffee to 12 oz water).

Somewhere towards evening I stop drinking coffee and switch to Coke Zero, which I dearly love.

Late evening I switch to carbonated water. Either Pellegrino, or this new one I am liking called Liquid Death Mountain Water.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Starts with quality green selection, then dialing in each batch (roasting) to give the taste/texture I must have with espresso... early morning warm machine up, weigh dry dose, grind, distribute, tamp and let the 'spro flow. 2 sips and done, rinse and repeat... and again and again... Currently have 7 very different coffees that are 3-9 days post roast and maybe 78 lbs of green just waiting...

20231025_145034.jpg1000004684.jpg

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Wake up... flip on the Rocket espresso machine.. shower, and get ready for work. Pull two double espresso, add 3/4 cup milk and ice in my Tervis Tumbler to make an iced latte, and head to work. Coffee is whatever scraps I have left from biz (I roast commercially). Right now, I'm drinking a PNG and a Nicaraguan natural.

BRC

Nov 2, 2023
USA
Visit site
Hi all - first real post here (after introductions) and since I'm in the process of "upgrading" my routine I figured that this is a good thread to join in on!

The typical brewing routine begins at around 6 am when I fill and flip the switch on our fire engine red electric tea kettle. I quickly take our dog Porter out to do his business, and return to weight out 70 to 80 grams of beans in a ramekin, dump them into the grinder, and transport this contraption either to the couch or into the bathroom... Ok, I do realize that the bathroom route may sound a bit undesirable and, trust me, this is not the first time I've had that thought. In brief, the choice largely hinges on shower usage, Porter's couch position, his willingness to move, access to child-proofed outlets, my level of laziness, and a host of other mundane factors.

Anyway, depending on the path I've chosen, I'll use either pillows or towels to muffle the incredible churning buzz of the grinder. As the dial slowly ticks down to zero I hope and pray that our 20-month old toddler does not wake up early, ruining the chance at having 30 minutes to sip coffee uninterrupted with my wife and pup. I whisk the grinder and now ground coffee back into the kitchen and flip the switch on the kettle once again to make sure it is still boiling.

A rubber pot holder goes on top of the scale with my Chemex on top of that. The filter goes in followed by a few splashes of boiling water, and after a couple of swirls I dump the water into the sink. Once the grinds go into the cone, I zero the scale, and quickly add water for the bloom.

I slowly pour water from "big red" into the cone and watching the dark amber stream of coffee trickle down into the glass base of my brewer. Of course this all goes smoothly and once I've reached the desired weight ratio I toss the filter and spent grinds into the sink. I quickly fill my mug along with hers and run to the couch to enjoy the final result. Around this time, my wife emerges and joins me with her cup in hand. Ahh, sweet, sweet coffee.

Apeace

Nov 4, 2023
USA
Visit site
My coffee routine is a bit of an adventure since I'm still fairly new to the coffee world. I'm constantly on the lookout for that perfect cup, so I love trying out different coffee brands to find the one that suits my taste buds just right. By the way, am I also looking for a good coffee machine, any recommendations? Where to buy? What about ao customer service? I enjoy the journey of discovering new flavors and aromas with every sip. Don't know why I didn't start drinking coffee earlier.

Last edited:

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
All coffee machines, yes even the cheap ones, can make great coffee if you:
  • Use great coffee
  • measure with a scale the amount of water (ignore the markings on the carafe)
  • measure with a scale the amount of coffee. (The weight is the same ground or beans.)
  • Use a ratio of something like 16 or 17 grams of water for every gram of coffee
My gosh if you do that much, it almost doesn't matter what machine you get.