When does a coffeehouse become a restaurant?

doubleshot

Jul 16, 2005
Oakland, CA
Visit site
Currently writing a business plan for a place in Northern California.

At what level of food prep does a coffeehouse legally become a restaurant:

Premaking sandwiches onsite for a panini grill?
Making gelato?
Serving premade (off-site) but not prepackaged deli salads?

Or, does it require actually cooking food, as opposed to cold prep?

My place will be an espresso bar first and foremost. And, I'm also looking at some of the profit centers above.

Thanks.

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
no matter what you do in the Bay Area you are legally a restaurant according to the health department. You will have to have a restaurant health permit.

if you have raw food prep then you will have extra responsibilities and health permit requirements.

doubleshot

Jul 16, 2005
Oakland, CA
Visit site
Thanks, Andy. I visited the building department yesterday and will be at the health department tomorrow. (Big learning curve, here.)

BTW, saw your presentation on coffeehouse marketing at SCAA-Seattle earlier this year...tremendous advice. Thanks.

Scott

doubleshot

Jul 16, 2005
Oakland, CA
Visit site
Well, right now it's finding its way from my head to paper. Definite emphasis on quality. I'm looking to incorporate the best approaches you find in a European cafe with what Americans want/expect. Whatever it takes to distinguish myself and be successful.

You're on my list...at some point.

Scott

Kudzu Koffee

May 24, 2005
Visit site
barefoot said:
no matter what you do in the Bay Area you are legally a restaurant according to the health department. You will have to have a restaurant health permit.

if you have raw food prep then you will have extra responsibilities and health permit requirements.

Where I am at cutting lemons to put on tea is considered raw food prep and required an additional prep sink.