When to Open?!?!

MokaMan

Apr 7, 2007
Visit site
I am in the process of opening an espresso shop, and we are planning on opening in late October/early November.

My question is when is the \"Best\" time to open?
Should I be shooting for September instead?

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
Where are you located, it makes a big difference. Are you in a tourist based town, if so when do the tourists come, it makes a huge difference. If you are not in a tourist based location I am not sure it matters that much. Anytime in fall should work well.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
There are definitely times when it may seem better to open, but it's like trying to time the birth of a baby--it's never going to be exactly when you want.

Another point is: You're going to be open all 12 months of the year, while I wouldn't recommend shooting for mid-summer, you have to be able to do it every one of those months. In the end, it really doesn't matter.

Hi,

I think you should open in August, then hope for a real month in September. September is the first real month for coffee, and it should get much better after that. But opening in August is a chance to get to know your regulars.

I would think, not knowing any better, that October would be a good month to start a coffe shop and have great sales. But starting earlier would be a practice and and help you get everything in order. November should be the real pick-up month, so September and October will help you get ready and be really READY for real SALES!!!!

I am only a novice that LOVES coffee with marketing skills, so I may be wrong.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
...for those who have yet to open... it's really something you have little control over.
No one but you will care about your schedule. An important point to know.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Open for business as soon as your menu is stable and staff is trained. Announce that opening a few weeks later; perhaps in this case as you enter your peak season.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
cafemakers has made the most sensible reply.

cherylann...
please reread my post, I think we're on a different wavelength (cue weird music) :?
(i.e. City officials, vendors, CONTRACTORS, Health Dept., etc. ---THESE are the people who "don't care" about your schedule, but whom you need things from in order to open) We scheduled to open within a week of Spring semester at the University here... While pushing things through, as much as we could... We opened in August.

After helping start multiple businesses, and finally starting one of my own, this story is echoed by hundreds of new owners everywhere.
Open when you are ready. It won't happen until then anyways. :D

John P.

Thank you for the enlightenment, however my response was not intended to you. Indeed, weird music.

MokaMan, it seems that the responses are centering around the fact that the opening will be largely affected by forces outside of your control But as cafemakers said, opening when your menu is stable and staff is trained makes good sense. Permits and other issues will probably delay you from any set date, but after the first cup is served then you can schedule a Grand Opening.

Was there a particular reason you were shooting for November?

Cheryl Ann

LNSC

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I was reading through the posts, do you suppose a coffee shop open first (when the menu is stable and staffs has been trained) and then have the grand opening?! For some odd reason i assumed... it was done by having the grand opening the same day you open for business.. or doesn't it have to work that way? :?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
LNSC said:
I was reading through the posts, do you suppose a coffee shop open first (when the menu is stable and staffs has been trained) and then have the grand opening?! For some odd reason i assumed... it was done by having the grand opening the same day you open for business.. or doesn't it have to work that way? :?

Nope... it's called a "soft opening." When everything is in place, quiety remove the "coming soon" signs and open the doors for business. As soon as you've got all of the kinks worked out (or there is some event or seasonal traffic from which you can benefit), you schedule the ribbon cutting ceremony and press to announce the grand opening. It's pretty common in the food business.

LNSC

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I cant believe i didnt think of this idea :roll: Most businesses that i have known tend to do the grand opening on the same day i guess i got my assumptions from there.. thank god for coffeeforum aye :grin:

LNSC

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
How long would you be able to leave it until you do the "soft opening" i wouldnt want to leave it too long before you lose the buzz from the locals.