Where Is Everybody?

Cat

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I've been practicing yoga and meditation, reading, watching movies, and drinking coffee lol :coffee1:

The hardest part for me has been the social aspect and not really being able to go out anywhere so I thought I'd find ways to reach out online. I hope everyone is being safe and doing well.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I have to say I've been watching a fair amount of TV. Movies, series and just mindless nonsense. Also, listening to some music. When the weather is good I'll get out on my bike for solo bike rides, about 20 miles. And we've been doing much more cooking. As for the social aspect of things, I've been somewhat anti social lately, meaning over the past several years. Before the virus came upon us I had begun reaching out to friends more. My wife is having construction work done on her office so when she goes out to deal with that I will head to the basement and play the drums for a bit.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
MntnMan62... you will enjoy this if you haven't seen it already:

MMW/Scofield Woodstock Sessions
https://youtu.be/i63c3Wg5CEs

Thanks @Musicphan! I have seen it before a couple days ago but I never get tired of listening to Scofield. When I was about 15 my friend and I decided we were going to head into the City (NYC) to go see The John Scofield Quartet. They were playing at Beefsteak Charlie's of all places. Apparently the owner of the chain at the time was a big jazz fan so he opened up a small club in the Village. My friend and I were able to snag a table close to the action but we had to agree not to drink any alcohol. We ordered Daquiris and doubt there was any alcohol in them but it didn't matter. John Scofield with Billy Hart on drums (my friend and I are both drummers). I'm almost positive the bass player was Anthony Anderson and the piano player might have been Richie Bierach. It was both of our first show in a jazz club. The first of many. We actually went back and caught him again, either later that week or another time. I don't remembere the second show as much as the first though. It left an incredibe impression on me. My parents were not much into music so my musical influences came from the friends I hung out with. I was already 40 when my one and only child was born in 2003. At some point he took interest in the electric bass and later said his inspiration is Jaco. With that I've taken him to see many a show at The Blue Note, Iridium, Jazz Standard, The Beacon Theater, Wellmont Theater in Montclair, Count Basie Theater in Red Bank and others I'm sure. Between his mom's love of classic rock (as do I) and my jazz and fusion influence he's got a massive taste for lots of different music. Anyway, I'm way off topic. Thanks so much for posting this because I will always revisit the memories of those first Scofield shows whenever I listen to his music. A truly great guitarist. Huge fan of Pick Hits Live, Still Warm, Blue Matter, Electric Outlet and Loud Jazz.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Nice... FYI... if your not aware of archive.org there are a ton of audio shows available. Only 94 MMWS shows :)

https://archive.org/search.php?query=medeski+scofield+martin+wood

If you have never listened to Combusitifcation from Medeski Martin & Wood - fantastic album. I would also highly recommend this recording - Grateful Dead w/ Brandford Marsalis. It's what turned my ear onto the Jazz world. He walked on without knowing any of their music and blew everyone away.

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-03-29.mtx.hansokolow.97118.flac16

He plays on these three tracks... but an amazing show.

1 Jack Straw - Live at Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 3/29/90 6:15
8 Eyes of the World - Live at Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 3/29/90 16:33
9 Estimated Prophet - Live at Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 3/29/90

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Nice... FYI... if your not aware of archive.org there are a ton of audio shows available. Only 94 MMWS shows :)

https://archive.org/search.php?query=medeski+scofield+martin+wood

If you have never listened to Combusitifcation from Medeski Martin & Wood - fantastic album. I would also highly recommend this recording - Grateful Dead w/ Brandford Marsalis. It's what turned my ear onto the Jazz world. He walked on without knowing any of their music and blew everyone away.

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-03-29.mtx.hansokolow.97118.flac16

He plays on these three tracks... but an amazing show.

1 Jack Straw - Live at Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 3/29/90 6:15
8 Eyes of the World - Live at Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 3/29/90 16:33
9 Estimated Prophet - Live at Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 3/29/90

I have not heard of Archive.org, but now I have. I definitely need to check it out. Branford Marsalis is my favorite of the two brothers. Winton is a great trumpet player but I've always thought he was a little too uptight. You're the second person I've heard mention Branford playing with the Dead. I need to check that out as well. Nassau Coliseum is another venue I spent some time in, either checking out the New York Nets when they were in the ABA with Rick Barry and Dr. J, or checking out the Islanders during their dynasty years or seeing music like UK with Terry Bozzio and others. I'm going to listen to the Branford stuff first, then explore. Thanks again!

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Ok. I don't hear Marsalis on Either Jack Straw or Eyes of the World, but he's definitely playing on Estimated Prophet. Very cool. Now i'm going to explore Archive and see what I can see.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Ok. I don't hear Marsalis on Either Jack Straw or Eyes of the World, but he's definitely playing on Estimated Prophet. Very cool. Now i'm going to explore Archive and see what I can see.

There may be better version around.. check out Live Without a Net on Youtube. It was a commercial release by the Dead and one or two of that performance were on the release. There is an article interviewing Branford about that gig. The Dead's fanbase is awesome and so open to new sounds he was blown away. It reminds me of a run I went to in Vegas ... 94ish. Sting opened up for the Dead 3 nights. The first night Sting was super timid and kinda reserved... fans loved it... 2nd night he was relaxed in the groove... 3rd night he absolutely threw down. I had certainly listened to Police but wouldn't consider me a fan... after that run of shows I was a fan for life and had new respect for him as a musician.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
There may be better version around.. check out Live Without a Net on Youtube. It was a commercial release by the Dead and one or two of that performance were on the release. There is an article interviewing Branford about that gig. The Dead's fanbase is awesome and so open to new sounds he was blown away. It reminds me of a run I went to in Vegas ... 94ish. Sting opened up for the Dead 3 nights. The first night Sting was super timid and kinda reserved... fans loved it... 2nd night he was relaxed in the groove... 3rd night he absolutely threw down. I had certainly listened to Police but wouldn't consider me a fan... after that run of shows I was a fan for life and had new respect for him as a musician.

I was more into the Dead when I was a teen. I caught their show at Giant's Stadium on Sept. 2, 1978. We headed to the Meadowlands the day before and found a massive amount of people lined up along the roads leading in. We just walked around and did stuff that you do when wandering around the night before a Dead show. We had nose bleed seats but all it took was a couple bills tightly rolled up for a gate guard to let us in to the stadium floor. It was definitely an experience. I'm a big fan of the Police and Sting. Fortunately I got to see the Poliice at PNC Arts Center, in 2008 maybe? What a great show. As a drummer I'm a big fan of Copeland. And I think Sting is an amazing songwriter.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I've also been drinking tons of coffee. What coffees have you been drinking MntnMan?​

Actually, I've been trying to go through some coffee that I had stored in the freezer for quite a while. This morning I used the ground Dunkin Donuts blend and made it in the Bialetti Moka Pot. I wasn't really paying attention this morning and overheated the skim milk that I use for milk foam and I over heated the coffee such that it squirted out the top holes of the Moka Pot so hard that it sprayed all over the stove. Fortunately that was near the end of the brew. So I got enough coffee to make two mugs with milk and foam. And you know? It was actually pretty good. I liked it better than the Medaglia d'Oro that I used two days earlier. And I've also been using my latest locally acquired beans, Bluestone Coffee Company Sumatra Takengon in my french press. I also have a can of preground Lavazza espresso so I may try and use that in the Moka Pot tomorrow to see how it compares to the Medaglia.

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
With most of the planet on lockdown, I find the lack of activity here disappointing. You would think that with people sitting home and doing what they should about social distancing, people might spend a little more time chatting on the forums. The shaving and drum forums I am on are far more active than usual. Yet this one seems to have gone the other direction. Tell us what you are doing to pass the time. Card games? Board games? Drinking games? Movies? Binge watching TV series? Sex? What up homies?

Call of duty and Netflix and Hulu when I’m not working

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Call of duty and Netflix and Hulu when I’m not working

I have so many projects that I should be doing around the house, and I just can't make myself do them. I'm going to kick myself when it's time to return back to work, and I haven't accomplished anything productive during my time off.

Yesterday, I was wandering around the house looking for things to use to make face masks. Since I don't have a sewing machine, I need to get creative. It's such a waste of time. When will this end?

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
I have so many projects that I should be doing around the house, and I just can't make myself do them. I'm going to kick myself when it's time to return back to work, and I haven't accomplished anything productive during my time off.

Yesterday, I was wandering around the house looking for things to use to make face masks. Since I don't have a sewing machine, I need to get creative. It's such a waste of time. When will this end?

If u can I’ll buy beans off u if u need a project [emoji16]