Where to learn the perfect shot

Chelle

Sep 14, 2004
Visit site
Hi. I am new to this forum, and have found it very helpful and informative. I am constructing my plan to open a drive thru...I love and appreciate coffee and espresso....But, I live an espresso deprived community and I want to learn the art of espresso. If I try to go work at another shop, I'm at SBs or my only competition, one other drive thru in a community of 200K people. So where to learn to grind, dose, tamp, draw, steam etc

smitty

Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
First - You need access to a quality grinder and espresso machine. If you do not already have one in your house, I would recommend getting a setup. It serves two purposes: 1) to feed your addiction and 2) to practice. I have the Rancilio Silvia and Rocky (doserless) grinder. I love it and it pours as good of a shot as the commercial Rancilio we have at work. My next step up is going to be a dual-boiler home espresso machine (no need to "charge up" the steam wand. But with the commercial setup at work, I have no immediate need. A decent home setup will set you back about $800 - $1800 (single boiler / double boiler).

Second - I would purchase David Schomer's "Techniques of the Barista" video. It's a little pricey ($80), but well worth it. It covers all aspects of extracting the perfect shot (grind, tamp, temperature, golden rule, etc.). It also covers steaming milk for the various drinks (a science). Once you open up your shop, the video will also serve as a training video for your staff (if you don't have a deal with your bean vendor to provide training).

Those are my thoughts, but those two points above have served me well. The only other thing I would do is continue to read forums, web sites, articles, etc. on the extraction and milk steaming techniques.

...and practice, practice, practice!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
ummm...maybe I am incorrect...Schomer...I saw him speak in Vegas...told people that if they where going to open shops then only open one...that they could not handle more than one...they would lose focus...then he started talking about how he opened his second location...he also spoke of how he tears down his group heads every 30 mins to clean them...sigh..I find that hard to believe. I was sitting next to a guy who had just started to roast. He asked me(before David came out to speak) about robustas in espresso. I Told the guy not to use over 3 to 6 %....It was sort of funny cuz David came out talking of Espresso blends....the question came up about robustas...he said to use around 10-20% .....He was running classes for around $1200 per 3 sessions......but save your money and go with your local roaster....or you can call Coffee Guy...I would even say call me but I am too busy....coffee guy has a good head on his shoulders though

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Thanks Topher...I love you man :grin: I've visited Schomer's place a number of times because he's local here to me. Although we are competitors in the roasting field, I still have respect for what he does in barista training part of the industry. I agree with Topher in I find it hard to believe also that anyone would break down the group heads and clean them every 30 minutes. However we do insist that you back flush your groups before pulling every shot, especially if you are going to pull straight shots. To my knowledge David owns just two locations. One being a sit down shop and the other a cart set up. As for the robusta issue, I don't agree with using 10%-20% either, but to each his/her own. Most use some robusta to get better creamma, but if you use too much, it can really effect the taste of the coffee.